Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Are your ears burning?

I read an article about us in the paper Sunday. You can read it here. Seems we bloggers are growing in number by the hour. The Waco Tribune Herald ran the story under the title "Tales from the crib ~ Blogs by parents revel in self absorption."
Self-absorption? I started to take issue with that, but I can't. It's true. We bloggers talk about ourselves a lot. We report funny stories about our days. It's all about us... Or is it? Most of the blogs I read have a very spiritual tone. Man we are bad... totally absorbed in God and family! What is the world coming to?
My next reaction was why single out parents? There are blogs about business, politics, entertainment... Everything! Why is it so unusual for a national pastime (blogging is number 5 now) to focus around parenting? My, my, my, these are treacherous times we live in! :)
I think blogging about kids, God, and family is healthy, especially when you consider all the other things one could blog about. So blog on my fellow bloggers, Blog On! Though I'm preaching to the choir, I just wanted to give you heads up.... they're talking about us!

P.S. When will the blog spell check learn to recognize the word BLOG? AND I actually did enjoy the article. It was just the sub-title that gave me pause.


7 comments:

Jenni said...

There have been lots of articles in Time, Fortune, etc about blogging and how big a thing it has become. Seems like it is actually gaining some credibility as a reliable, legit source of info too. Interesting times we live it.

Plus, it makes a small world even smaller! I love it!!!

Clarissa said...

Yes -- how dare mothers focus on their own parenting. For the love! Whoever wrote that has probably never been a stay-at-home mom. That's our primary job! We have to focus on ourselves and how we handle it!

MDM said...

My world is completely centered around God and family..is that so wrong?! The press can kiss our mommy grits...

elizabeth said...

I thought it was a very interesting article but did you notice that the mother pictured said she averaged 18 hours a week blogging? I think an important point of blogging and even scrapbooking (another huge passion of mine) is to document memories but not spend so much time doing so that we miss out on memories!

SG said...

"no matter how mundane or scatological"... that was in the article! Grant Boone they have been reading your blog!!!

elizabeth said...

OK I reread the article and saw that she only blogs at least 15 hours a week. Thats MUCH better. Sorry for the exaggeration. That's how rumors get started...

John Owens said...

SG, thanks for your comment on my blog. ONe of the nicest comments I've ever received. And yes, I'm always looking for an excuse to travel. Texas sounds like a lovely place to spend a weekend. Maybe God will give me an assignment there soon. Thanks again for your encouragement.