Wednesday, February 09, 2005

To Kolby on her seventh birthday

This is a few days early but I felt moved to write it out now.

Dear Kolby,

I will never forget the warm afternoon in June when I ran to Alberston’s on 183 and Browntrail in Hurst,Texas on my way home from work to make a very important purchase. . . a home pregnancy test. I bought several not realizing that there were 2 in a box. I also had one in the car that I had taken from the defunked "teen help closet" at work. I remember waiting for your Daddy to leave to help with VBS. I told him I would come later as I was having some stomach issues... little did he know!

He had barely closed the front door when I ran in the bathroom and took the first two tests. (I wanted to be sure.) IMEDIATELY the lines started forming. I checked the box.
Oh my, that can’t be right! I’ll take another.
And another…and another… Twenty minutes later there was a line of several pregnancy tests laid out on the bath tub. All said the same thing ~ BABY! I was really late to VBS that night.

Over the next nine months our lives changed dramatically. Two months after that June day when we learned you were coming, we celebrated our first anniversary by closing on a house. I just couldn’t have a baby in an apartment! (Why? I don’t remember!) Pregnancy was not what I expected, but we couldn't wait to meet you! I quit work on February 2nd and was put on bed rest that same day. Eight days later my "elephant" ankles and rising blood pressure convinced the doctor to help you along. I was admitted to the hospital at 6:30pm on the 10th to be induced on the 11th.

I cried the whole night before you were born because the nurses didn’t believe me when I said you were coming. They had just given me a sleeping pill at 11pm when my water broke. But the nurse kept saying that I was fine and they would induce in the morning. We knew differently, didn’t we! Around 4:30am when the nurse came in to check on me, I tearfully told her it felt like there was a potato between my legs. She ran over and threw back the covers…"OH MY! YOU ARE CROWNING!!!!"

When Dr. Gordon said "It’s a girl!" I was so happy. Somehow I think I had always known you were a girl. We met face to face around 5:00am. It was a perfect moment. In all my life I had never felt so loved and blessed as I did holding you with your Daddy’s arm in mine and your Mama K looking on in awe and wonder. You were a perfectly pink and alert little baby girl. My speechless heart cried tears of joy in a prayer of complete and total thanks.
2-11-98, Sara Kolby Grosz, 8 hours old.

An hour or so later when everyone had met you and they cleaned you up, I felt the first of many a "Mommy fear." I was terrified when they said it was time for me to nurse you, but you knew just what to do! It was the first time your confidence and ability would squelch my fears. You have done that many times over the last seven years.
Kolby on her first Birthday.

The first years with you were just fun and love while learning how to be both Wife and Mommy. There were some real hard and scary times, but as long as you and Daddy were ok, my world was right. Those days were so precious that I took about two rolls of film a week trying to remember every detail. People often kidded that you might get a "flash burn" from my camera happy habits. Everyday you seemed to grow and change. It was (and still is) an amazing thing to watch. You made your Daddy and I feel like a real family. You were then, as you are today, our little doll and drama queen! Back then my passion in life was dressing you up and showing you off! You were quite the little performer… as long as it was on your terms.

Age two on her big girl bed!

I tell you all this because in my heart when I look at your barely seven-year-old, freckle-faced smile, I sometimes see that precious wide-eyed, alert, perfectly pink baby I met so early one February morning. You will always be my baby girl! The older you get the more amazed and blessed I feel that God chose me to be your Mom. I am still in awe of the incredible little girl that I see before me. I love you so very, very much. You are smart, strong, funny and so loving and sweet. Your future is incredibly bright. As you continue to grow in the knowledge and love of our Father God, I pray that your heart will always stay with him. I know you will be able to accomplish all He sets before. God has a great plan for you Miss Kolby Sue!

September 12, 2001 Rhett's 2nd day home from the hospital. Kolby is 3 years 7 months & 1day old.

I will always be here cheering you on and loving you with a love I never knew possible. Time with you is priceless to me. I hope you never out grow Eskimo kisses or snuggling with your Mommy! But if you do… we will have lots of memories of Mommy/Daughter time together. Happy Birthday my beautiful, precious baby girl! I love you!!

Mommy
February 2005
Kolby now!

11 comments:

elizabeth said...

Happy Birthday Kolby! It looks like we were both being sentimental moms this morning! I hope you two have a wonderful day!

Jenni said...

So precious. I know that Kolby will cherish that letter as she grows.

(btw, the date at the top of this post says November...?!?!)

SG said...

Thanks Jenni! I fixed it, I think. Never know what time the blog wart will put on the post after I push publish.

Karen said...

What a beautiful tribute to your daughter!

Found you through a roundabout trip from Mike Cope's and Clarissa Cox's blogs. I've blogrolled you.

MDM said...

These girls are so special. Rachel is everything I would like to be. Kolby is darling. We had the outfit she is wearing in her year-old picture...Gymboree right?

Mae said...

Happy 7th Birthday Miss Kolby! I hope it is absolutely wonderful and full of surprises. :)

SG, if you were going for sentimental and rated K I am positive that you succeeded. Great post.

Susan - said...

Happy Birthday Kolby! You are getting so big. I cannot believe you and Jonathan are 7 already. It seems like you were together in the Bear Class just a few months ago.

Clarissa said...

How sweet, Stephanie. She'll treasure this. It's fun to go over it all, and a little hard to believe, isn't it? So much has happened in such a short, short time. Wonder if we'll all still be blogging when they graduate from high school?

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

So sweet! She's blessed to have you and Rob as parents!

Deana Nall said...

…"OH MY! YOU ARE CROWNING!!!!"

I love this. Why is it that some medical professionals don't listen to us women? Like when I KNEW my first child was breech and the doc kept saying, "No, no, she couldn't be." I felt a head in my LUNGS, people! Then the doc checked and sheepishly said, "Oh, you're right. I feel her butt cheeks down here." Well, duh!

Anyway, beautiful post. I've been wanting to write something like that for Julia. I'm waiting for when I have enough time and emotional stability.

jettybetty said...

I do hope Miss Kolby had a super Bday!!! I think this blog will be a real treasure to her as she grows up!
JB