Thursday, February 24, 2005

Half my list of 100

Lately I have noticed a trend in blogworld to post a list of 100 things about oneself. 100 THINGS!!! I resisted for a while but , reluctantly came up with a list in two parts. Here is half of a very random, in no order of importance, list of 100 things about me...
1. I have been a member of a church of Christ most all my life.
My home churches:
2. Johnson Street C of C, San Angelo, Texas 1970 - 1996
3. Southern Hills C of C, Abilene, Texas 1988- 89
4. Highland C of C, Abilene, Texas 1989 -1993
5. Eastleigh C of C, Nairobi, Kenya, Summer of 91 & 92
6. Golf Course Road C of C, Midland, Texas 1996
7. Southlake C of C, Southlake, Texas March 1997 - Dec 2001
8. Crestview C of C , Waco, Texas 2002 to present.
9. I lived in the same house from age 2 until my parents moved across town when I was 21, except college.
10. I was never the new kid in school . I went to 1 elementary school ~ Travis, 1 Junior High ~ Glenn, 1High school ~ Central,
and 2 Colleges ~ ACU & ASU.
11. I was baptized between the 3rd & 4th grade after sleepless nights at church camp in Brady, Texas fearing that God would come if I went to sleep and I would go to HE**. My parents wanted me to wait until I got home from camp to be baptized . They didn't want me scared into baptism.
12. The Sunday after camp our preacher, Bill Young baptized me. I was still a little scared!
13. I grew up thinking that Baptist and Methodist were "different religions" and Catholics had a different God! ( So embarrassing! Surely part of this was just little girl confusion!)
14. I clearly remember debates during lunch at my elementary school with a Baptist boy about Jesus not being born on Christmas and REAL Christians not using instruments in church! (So sorry BRATCHER! ) That same boy was my one of my best friends from 5th grade on and an usher in our wedding. (Hi Scott!)
15. I have one sister who is beautiful... and single!!! I was 8 ½ when she was born.
16. I tried to sell my sister on blogger because I want a brother-in-law & nieces and nephews!
17. I always wanted an older bother. Mom had a miscarriage before me so I decided I had an older brother who ...Didn't make it!
18. I thrived on DRAMA growing up! Can ya' tell?
19. My Dad was an only child and he was adopted.
20. My cousin Robby told me my Dad was adopted when I was 9. For some odd reason it rocked my world!
21. Since age 9 , I have seen strangers on the street that looked like my Dad and wondered if they were my aunt or uncle.
22. I used to fantasize that somehow through my Dad I was related to Julie Andrews and/ or Laura Ingalls Wilder.
23. At age 22 I found out who my Dad's birth mother was but she had died two years earlier. She never had any other children. We think my Dads birth father's name was Ben Davis. We only know his name.
24. I wonder if I will meet my birth grandparents in Heaven.
25. My Mom has one sister, Thomasue. She was my favorite person growing up. I have four first cousins who all live in Waco, go to church at Crestview, and are like my siblings. Their children (4 and counting) are like my nieces and nephews.
26. I love my family... All of them!!!
27. I met my husband on someone else's blind date at an all night Soft-ball tourney hours after declaring to friends that I was no longer worried about finding the "ONE" & wanted to enjoy being single for a few more years.
28. Rob and I knew at least a dozen of the same people well for years before ever meeting or hearing of each other.
29. We met on July 15th, were talking marriage by August, and were engaged on October 19th.
30. After a 10 month engagement, we married on my grandparents 55th wedding anniversary 3 blocks from where they were married!
31. Honeymooned at Walt Disney World ~ the best vacation ever!!!
32. In our first year of marriage we moved 5 times, both changed jobs, lost my Grandfather and got pregnant! What a year!!!
33. I learned to drive a stick shift on a brand new 911 at Porsche Training in Reno Nevada.
34. I have been to LA three times but can't remember anything but the convention center and hotel... same for Chicago.
35. My favorite city is New York! I have been there 9 times and would go tomorrow if I could. The last time I was in New York, I was 5 months pregnant with Rhett.
36. I am not a picky person 98% of the time. Picky people peeve me, but only when they are snotty about it! :-)
37. I was a Fiesta Del Concho Ambassador for San Angelo in the summer of 1989.
38. I was the Spiritual Life Committee Chair on ACU senate for 3 years. AKA "the spiritual life chick!"
39. My Swahili nick name was Nweli Mingi ~ which roughly translates BIG HAIR!
40. I have spent more time in the Indian Ocean than any other.
41. I have ADD. Again ~ Can't ya tell?
42. I love to plan parties for my kids, family, church, PTA ~ I think I should have been an event coordinator.
43. I used to say I wanted to be a lawyer when I grew up, but really, I have always wanted to be a stay-home Mom.
44. I had three main obsessions growing up: Donnie & Marie, Little House on the Prairie, and Days of Our Lives.
45. I loved to cook at a very early age and brought my Mom breakfast in bed (that I had cooked) around age 3. Really!
46. I used to dress up like a maid and clean and clean when I was little. I LOVED to clean back then.
47. My husband wishes I would return to the pastimes of my youth (see #45 & #46)
48. I have a severe phobia of tests and have been known to break out in hives and puke repeatedly on the way to an exam.
49. I was in 10 wrecks between ages 16 and 26 and was never hurt.
50. History always was and is still my favorite subject.

10 comments:

Donna G said...

Oh the trauma of growing up as a CofC surrounded by Baptist. I remember a friend came to church with me once who had never had communion and I jokingly told her to toss it over her left shoulder! I had to stop her, she was going to do it!

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the next installment!

Susan - said...

You still are a Drama Queen! (just kidding). I always wanted a big brother too. Go figure.

Clarissa said...

This is all interesting! I'd love to hear stories of your time in Kenya.

lauren said...

I am blogging, but it's more of a journal for me to keep and for a few close friends to read. Maybe one day I'll make it open to anyone!

MDM said...

Never doubt that other people's business is INTERESTING!!! Tell this transplanted Arizonan about your time at ASU.

SG said...

Sorry MDM the ASU I went to was Angelo State University.. mainly in the summers home from ACU. This list of 100 has been hard for me, but fun too!

jettybetty said...

I am like you on #s 1, 13 (I thought this was in the Bible), 18, 35, and 44 (especially Little House, I have all those memorized). BTW I drove through Waco last night on the way back from College Station and thought of you! JB

Jenni said...

Whether you think it would be interesting or not, it is a great way for us to have a little glimpse into who you are. I love it!

Susie said...

LOL--my father was adopted too, and I also analyzed strangers' faces to see if they might be related to us.

And I watched Days of Our Lives growing up, too . . . before it got weird! LOL. Possessing Marlena--really!

Amy S. Grant said...

I'm enjoying some of your old posts in the middle of the night, can you tell? Actually I am sick and can't sleep, so you are doing me a great service with the entertainment.

...I never knew you were the Spritual Life Chick! Love it!

I was a Days fan too.