Saturday, March 05, 2005

I would have called 10000 angels...

Thank you for all the prayers for Sari and her work situation after yesterdays post. (Sari wrote the 9th comment to thank you herself yesterday.) It is far from over. Next Tuesday and Wednesday will be big days for her, but I am very proud of how she is handling herself. Your prayers have been felt by us all. I love that we have this prayer cover through blogging. Amazing!

Sari's situation has brought many big thoughts to mind. First, though the day to day things we do are important, our actions in moments of pain are what define us. I told my sister that this week. I said that how she handles this situation will define her character and choose the course her life is to take for a while. When I relate that principle to Jesus and the cross, I am overwhelmed at the love of our Savior.

He was wrongfully accused, his body wreathing in pain and agony, and he prayed for his torturers. Jesus defined himself by loving no matter what. When I feel cheated or wronged, I shine the light of the cross on my situation and am always led to love. No matter how bad things are for me, Jesus had it worse and he chose to love. I think we can choose love as a verb even when we do not feel it as a noun.

My second thought is very close to the first. The bravest, most incredible strength on Earth does not come from anger, hate or revenge but from love. One of my favorite songs growing up was "He could have called ten thousand angels." The real power in those words hit me this week. As I said yesterday, part of me really wanted the people who have brought this storm on my sister to hurt for hurting her. I'm afraid I would have called the 10,000 angels to kick some booty if it had been me on that cross. I was ready to call them for my sister. It's good that God is God and I am not.

In the midst of my fury, I thought about God's command to pray for our enemies. I thought about the cross... Funny how anger melts away in light of the cross. It is hard to demand justice when I think of the wrongs and the sins I have nailed to that cross. I'm no saint. Neither is my sister. I also realize that the people who brought this about are not pure evil and have their own hurts and challenges. So I am praying for them.

My sister has chosen to stand up for what she knows is right and done her best. No matter what happens in life, our best effort and our love is all that is expected of us. I hate that Sari has to face this unfair and painful situation, but there is great comfort in knowing I can go to the Father and pray for my sister and the "enemy" and He will take care of us all in his good time. I truly believe that. No matter what the outcome of this ordeal, I know my sister will be fine.

Those are my thoughts this weekend.

Again, thank you for your prayers. May God bless you with the lessons only His love can teach.

3 comments:

jettybetty said...

I think it is amazing how the Holy Spirit brought so many powerful things to your mind as you struggle with what is happening to Sari--and how obedient you were to listen and act! Praying for the enemy when they are hurting you is so hard--thanks for sharing how the cross put it all in focus for you! I will continue to pray for your family! Blessings! JB

Donna G said...

What JB said! It is amazing how our indignation pales when we look at things in the shadow of the cross. The Spirit is definately working in your life.

Susie said...

I'm sorry I didn't read yesterday's post sooner. I'll add prayers for Sari as well.

Praying for one's enemies is not an easy thing for me to do--but I have had some really surprising results from doing so. I think God really moves and works through prayers for enemies.

Hoping things get better for Sari soon. No fun to watch your baby sister be mistreated.