Thursday, December 29, 2005

Glory, Glory, Jalopeno.... Rosa's has come to Waco!

Warning: Most of you will not get why I am so excited about this...but if you grew up in San Angelo, Texas you will know exactly why Rob and I are so pumped.

As I recall, it all started in San Angelo in a little joint that used to be a burger stand on Bryant Blvd. not to far from Central High School. That's where the first Rosa's Cafe & Tortilla Factory was born. I ate many a meal there with my family was thrilled when Rosa's 2 opened on our side of town. They had the best tortillas, the best beans & cheese and the best queso fajitas... In High School I would go with friends to "the old one" for lunch. Most days we would get the Bobcat Special which included three piping hot tortillas, a half pint of beans and cheese, and a medium drink for $1.85! Heaven in a tortilla! And sooo good when your school had off campus lunch and you had a $2 a day lunch allowance!

Fast forward ten years. My family "did" Rosa's at least once a week and kept a stash of tortillas in the house most times in between. My friend and I each lost 10 pounds on a Rosa's chicken fajita fueled diet during that time! When Rob and I were dating we ate at Rosa's in Angelo and Odessa, as a man named Bobby Cox had bought the Rosa's by our house in Angelo and then opened one in Midland and another in Odessa.

Almost five years ago Rosa's came to Fort Worth. The one on Precint Line and Grapevine Highway saw our little family (and all the friends we could convince to go with us) very often. Kolby was hooked immediately and again I felt so at home. Rosa's and Maccaroni Grill were two of the places we hated to leave behind when we moved to Waco.

Fast forward to today. There are now 29 Rosa's. They opened five new ones this year and hope to open ten more next year. All Rosa's have that magic tortilla machine where you can watch the workers put little balls of dough in and, as they slowly spiral down past gas fueled flames, they become the best tortillas ever! Though the menu isn't as economical as it once was, you can still get 8 hot sopapillas for under $2.00 and fajitas for four for $20.00.

We tried the Waco Rosa's tonight for the first time. I feel like a little piece of my past has moved to Waco. We chatted with Mr. Cox and saw some familiar faces. We heard plans for future expansions and were assured there would be no short cuts and no microwaves in any Rosa's. We also learned that the only Rosa's Cafe's not a part of the current growing chain are the original ones in San Angelo. They are still owned and operated by a family there, though not the original family. I wonder if they still have the Bobcat Special? No matter! I am happy to have a little bite of "home" so close by.

Welcome to Waco Rosa's! It's great to get reaquainted with an old friend!

And for those not blessed enough to live close to a Rosa's... just wait! If Mr. Cox has his way, there will soon be one opening near you!

7 comments:

Susan - said...

Congrats. I know you and Rob are thrilled. Even I became a Rosa's convert in Fort Worth.

Jacinda said...

We love Rosa's, too! Rosa's was in Lubbock when we lived there. My husband still sighs fondly when thinking about it!

jettybetty said...

We have a Rosa's about 2 miles from us--and we frequent it quite often. Taco Tuesdays are an actual food riot most weeks.

Enjoy!!

Jenni said...

My family is just learning to love Rosa's -- they've put two in Abilene in the last year. My bro-in-law went to school at Tech and just loved Rosa's in Lubbock. Enjoy having it close!!

Hoots Musings said...

Bobby failed to tell you his nephew Gary Cox owns the Rosa's in San Angelo. They are friends of mine, he and his wife Jane.

They plan to open a new Rosa's in San Angelo, somewhere close to the new HEB.

I love Rosa's, Taco Villa, Texas Burger and now Schlotszkys is a part of Cox. He knows his stuff!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I cannot get past my jealousy to even say congratulations. In fact, I'm just plain ol' bitter. BITTER!

Hope you're feeling ok these days. Wish we could see you all.

elizabeth said...

Your enthusiasm makes me excited to try it! Maybe we will go tomorrow.