Friday, December 09, 2005

Happy Holidays

(Soap Box Warning)

There. I said it. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
HA! Does saying it make me less Christian?
Does it mean I am trying to take the Christ out of Christmas? Does it mean I think Christians shouldn't celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday? Do those two words mean I have turned by back on my heritage and taken a dive into the great cultural melting pot where nothing is sacred and individualism is lost? NO, I think not. It means I am ever so nicely wishing you a happy holiday season.

I have heard so much hype these days about President Bush sending out a Christmas Card that said "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." I'm tired of the protestors trying to sue and boycott Target for asking their employees to use a greeting that would be appropriate for all their customers instead of just the Christians. I'm aggitated by parents calling and threatening my child's public elementary school with legal action if the Winter Break notice isn't reissued because it said "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas!"

When I say Happy Holidays I mean Merry Christmas and Happy New Years at the same time! If you are Jewish, I wish you a Happy Hanukah. If you do the Kwanza thing...Well Happy Kwanza!. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

If "Happy Holidays" is on my Christmas cards it means that is the wording that came with the background from the Wal-mart photo center that best went with my kids cute picture. It could also mean that I may not be able to pull my head away from the toilet long enough to get my Christmas cards mailed before Christmas, so I'm saying "Happy Holidays" just in case you don't get it until New Years, or at this rate maybe even Valentine's Day! With Happy Holidays, all my bases are covered.

Last I checked, America is a place where no one can stop me from saying "Merry Christmas" as my own personal greeting. America is also a place where I should not be made to say "Merry Christmas" and branded as being "at war with Christmas" if I say "Happy Holidays." Seriously people!

There is a Sunday school song that almost sarcastically plays in my mind when I see Christians making such a major deal over such a minor thing..."And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love, yes they'll know we are Christians by our love."

If we want to keep the Christ in Christmas we need to worry more what our actions say and less what our greeting cards say. We need to show the love and compassion of Christ to those who truly need it. We need to give sacrificially and love our neighbors. We need to establish good and honest characters in our communities, as well as reputations as people who care about people, not the ones suing each other over greeting cards.

Sorry to be so edgy and opinionated today guys. Maybe it is the hormones talking, but this whole subject just really irks me! SO HAPPY HOLIDAYS! And have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS while you're at it! :)!

8 comments:

elizabeth said...

Merry Rama-hana-kwanza-mas!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one SG... and I would be puking w/ you if I were pregnant!

Elizabeth, Do you listen to Glen Beck??
Carol

elizabeth said...

Carol-I refuse to respond until you register with Blogger! ;)

Gem said...

Preach it Sistah! I think it's all PC hullaballoo that will blow over by next Christmas.

Beaner said...

Amen! And I much prefer to hear 'Happy Holidays' than 'Bah Humbug'!

Try drinking some Gatorade to stay hydrated - it helped me immensely when I was sick while pregnant. I hope you feel better soon!

Jenni said...

Amen!!! I'm with Beaner - as long as they aren't bah humbug-ing the season, I don't really mind any thing else!

Anonymous said...

You're a blogging snob Elizabeth!! :D
Carol

MDM said...

Very well said! I am so happy for your up-coming arrival!!! Can't wait to see pics. Will you find out the sex?