Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The trouble with blogs

I just read an article about a young man who is now on his way to prison because he confessed to causing an accident on his blog. Wow! I guess that is bad for him but maybe good for man kind? So this post is a random disscussion on the value of blogging.

You know I love blogs but I admit they can get you into trouble. I recently commented on our preachers blog and evidentally ruffled a few feathers. I have friends who have been put out at snide little comments left on their blogs, and rightly so.

So I am wondering AGAIN for about the 1000th time this year, is blogging worth it? I read Mike Copes blog every morning like most people read the newspaper and it starts my day out right. Mike is the kind of guy who can be inspirational when he isn't trying. Even the "guacamole" posts seem to get the juices flowing. But there are very few Mike Copes in the world.

I love keeping up with friends on blogs. I love meeting new friends on blogs. I love getting cool ideas or great recipes from blog world. I love seeing peoples pictures and hearing their stories. I even like to read the occasional well founded,not too crazy "rant" because it makes me feel like I'm not alone. I love blogs that talk about the struggles and triumphs of life in Christ. I love "mommy" blogs and "family" blogs.

Then there are blogs I avoid. I stay away from blogs that tear and tear at one type of religion, or one type of political party. I'm not into "the world is going to hell in a hand basket" or "I'm so messed up and depressed" blogs. My least favorite blogs are "we are right and you are wrong religious blogs". While I love blogs of thanksgiving, blogs that are full of bragging and "my life is so perfect" make me want to hurl. Val recently talked about many blogs being "ego trips"(...so hope he wasn't talking about me!) and I have thought about that alot.

So I have rambled on for several paragraphs and not really made much of a statement here...So I'll ask the three or four of you who read this, what do you think about blogs? What does blogging do for you? Is it worth it? Just wondering?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I deleted a whole section of today's post because of you! I think of my blog as a journal. So, it is about me. Maybe that's an ego thing. I certainly have enjoyed meeting new friends and hope to meet many more.

SG said...

You know I am now dieing to know the story! I love your blog TL! You make me laugh like no one else! I guess I should have included "princess" blogs to the lists of those I love!:)

So how many people wondered if Val was talking about them when he said some blogs are ego trips? :)

Donna G said...

Not me (on the Val thing)...I am too busy beating myself up most of the time...

I love this whole community of bloggers, but I don't stray from the tried and true too much. I get some weird comments occassionally but for the most part the same people read me.

For me it is journaling with accountability. Knowing that people check to see if I have written anything makes me want to do it. and for the most part I am very glad I did. I reviewed the last year in mine & TL blog yesterday for a project I am doing in class tonight. I think it is pretty cool to be able to do that.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to write a book...but you know it is real easy to turn your comments off if that is really what is bothering people!

Val said...

I was not even sort of talking about you. Actually it came up when a friend of mine said a guy (a mutual acquaintance of yours and mine) sends him proofs of blogs before they are published. He said that for several of them he felt really awkward because they were getting more and more grandiose and evidence that the writer was getting a "prima don" complex. I was seeing that tendency a lot as well and have therefore scaled back greatly on the number of blogs I read. (Now don't get a big head knowing that yours is one of them :).)

Susan - said...

Don't even think about quitting. I enjoy my little neighborhood of bloggers, and usually don't wander off.

Beaner said...

Blogging is my way of communicating with the "real world" of adults while being a stay-at-home mom. And....it can be free therapy too! :)

SG said...

Thanks for that Val! Good to know who you weren't talking about. I am quite sure my head is big enough and see no need to let it swell! :) Merry Christmas!

Amy S. Grant said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy S. Grant said...

I came back and deleted my comment from last night. Obviously with me the trouble with blogs is changing my mind about what I've posted. :)

I have enjoyed blogging very much - getting to "know" so many in this special community!

Merry Christmas!