Saturday, November 24, 2007

Cold and Rainey

And I LOVE it!

The Saturday after Thanksgiving finds me pretty far along in the self prescribed Christmas spirit therapy I blogged about last week. Though I have not watched "It's a Wonderful Life," I have listened to Christmas music. Yesterday morning I got up very early and went shopping. I had not planned on it. But I woke up at 5am and could not go back to sleep and thought I might as well. After all, I knew Rob and the kids would be fine without me since they were sleeping and I only wanted to go to Target. So I went.

I did save money but it wasn't the sale prices that really drew me in. I mostly bought things I was going to get anyway, and some were not on that great of a sale. It was just the idea of being able to shop in my sweats without make-up, without the kids, and with-out a deadline, while getting things scratched off my list early... that's what motivated me to face the crowds!

There were CROWDS! The line was the longest I have ever seen in my life. I had no idea that many people could fit in Target! I almost left, but could not figure out where I would go and since I was there... I had a great time. The big crowds were happy and I thought it was sorta fun. I was in the store by 6:10am and out by 7:30am! I did get some bargains. We did not buy a printer when we got the new computer even though the old one was dead. So I picked up a printer for less than the cost of my old ink cartridge refills. I also got some great towels for our "new" bathroom. AND {THIS IS BIG} I finished Christmas shopping for all the kids on my list! REALLY!

What I did not get in the stores yesterday morning, I finished on-line when I got home with free shipping! No more venturing out to toy stores or electronic stores waiting for that certain something to come in. I only have five adults left to buy for! YEAH! So I may be crazy for getting up and out so early, but I am really happy about it today...and I slept for 12 hours last night!

We also put our tree up last night. It is one of those pre-lit 9 ft things that takes up half the living room and requires both Rob and I to lift and assemble. (Even though I know it is better for the environment, we do not have real trees because there are three asthmatics who live in this house who all seem to be allergic to real trees.. and we like to breathe during the month of December!) There is a lot of fluffing to do, but after it's up I love plugging it in and finding all the lights glowing perfectly in place. I have loved this tree since Rob gave it to me as an early birthday present five years ago. But last night as we assembled each section, there were black out areas. The lights just would not come on. We jiggled each bulb and tested the little circuits in the plugs, but nothing. Luckily we could turn the sections around to where the black spots were in the back...until we reached the top. The whole top section was out. We tried to revive it for an hour. Then I went to Walmart and bought a box of lights. Rob wrapped them on and we stuck it up. It will do for this year, but I am going to be searching those after Christmas sales for a new tree for next year.

So it isn't even December and most of my presents are bought and the tree is lit and standing... ornaments should be on by Sunday night. I'm in a good place! What a difference a week can make! Don't get too envious of my new "ahead of the Christmas game" status... I still have to decorate the rest of the house, decorate outside (but not today!) and then get the traditional Christmas picture/card process rolling.... But I will be a bit more chipper doing it now that I have a handle on the Christmas season. And the sudden change in our weather sure helped! I could not get into Christmas when I was wearing short sleeves and sweating! But snuggled up at home in my thick socks and comfy sweaters... This is great Christmas mood weather!

Hope you are having a great weekend!

9 comments:

SG said...

So do these new colors giveyou a headache??? Going back and forth.

Lindsay said...

Our 9 foot, pre lit tree did the same thing this year! I love that tree! The bottom portion had a section that just wouldn't light up so we did the same--just turned it into the back corner. I guess I will be out after Christmas with you looking for that wonderful bargain on a new pre lit tree!
Good seeing you at 6:30 in the morning at Target yesterday!

Amy S. Grant said...

It's funny reading your blog - we've done the opposite things as you (all the decorating/cards ordered), but I haven't even begun the shopping. Together we are the whole package! :)

I'll be sure to stop by here daily for my Christmas fix - love the music and your new festive look!

SG said...

Lindsey
You will not be out shopping with a newborn! If I see a deal I will call you! I have my eye on a 9ft pre-lit SLIMLINE from Sams but am afraid to wait. They sell out of stuff so fast!
Now go have that baby!:)

Susan - said...

I am jealous of your new look. I want to do something creative, but have no idea how.

Love the Christmas music!

Mae said...

Didn't you just LOVE the deals at gymboree.com???!??!?! Hello, 30% off and $5.95 shipping PLUS gym bucks. Bliss, sweet sweet bliss!

Love your spirit... it's catching. I just got home from getting Brandon's b-day gift and an ice cream cake from Marble Slab and we got to put out decorations and put the tree up today. LOVE IT!

Nellie said...

Congratultions on your organization! It's quite impressive for a mother of three.

Yes, the colors are difficult. The red on black is really hard on my eyes. But, I enjoy your blog, so I'll deal with it until after Christmas. It is just a Christmas color thing, right?!

SG said...

Oh Nellie! (I love saying that! You are so right! I was getting a headache! I will tweak this and change it around as the Holidays progress.

Lindsay said...

You are right! It is hard to think about having a newborn again. For the last few years I have been able to pretty much pick up and go whenever and wherever I want with a 6 and 3 year old but things are about to change! I have seen that tree at Sams and it is very pretty! Home Depot has a nice one also!