Monday, November 05, 2007

If I were an atheist

What would I think about as I pulled down wall paper?

 
The other day while we were de-papering different rooms in our house, I kept thinking of Christian life analogies that could be drawn from the task at hand. For example I thought about how with all the millions of types and grades of wall paper in the world, all of them are usually just covering up the same old grey and white sheet rock and how God cares about the condition of  our sheet rock not so much about the outer paper we put on to dress our selves up.  I came up with several more... 

The same happens when I find myself painting,  building, taking a walk or even just cleaning something. My mind is always drawing comparisons and coming up with little analogies about life, church, loving each other and God . I guess it is mind/soul candy during otherwise boring tasks? Or maybe the product of growing up in Bible class? But I wonder... Does everyone do this? What if someone is not a Christian or does not believe in any God? Do those people find atheistic analogies in their tasks? Just wondering...

Now aren't you glad you took time out of your day to read my random thoughts? If I keep posting deep thoughts like this, I might get nominated for a Bloggie Award! (Do they really have those?)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

With your first analogy, I think about how I used to strive for "bigger and better" things because of what I wanted to "cover up". I feel more free since I have simplified things in my life and not put on so many "layers".

Meredith

Susan - said...

I think it is just you. Kidding, sort of. I don't have these deep thoughts while doing tasks I hate. I wish I did. I can't say it never happens to me, just not regularly.

Donna G said...

I think this way all the time. I don't know what non-believers think about....maybe what kind of paper to use.

Amy S. Grant said...

I do the same thing.

And those pictures bring back some bad memories of our bathroom re-do. I hope yours goes very smoothly.

Can't wait to see the afters!

Beaner said...

It took me 5 years to finish getting all the wallpaper off of my bathroom! Seriously. And I think in analogies all the time too.

Susan - said...

OK, I want to know how to music and a slide show on MY blog!