Monday, November 26, 2007

Merry Christmas

revised a bit at noon, just because...
I heard this song by Third Day last night and it made me cry.. and smile... and think of a couple of friends of mine. I added my friend Julie to my blog list a few weeks ago after reconnecting with her at Farm Fest. Julie and her family are in the process of adopting a little girl from the Ukraine. This song also made me think of Kolby's good friend who was adopted from China and my PTA friend who has adopted two precious girls from China. There are many other 'dopted (per Rhett) friends we know and love.

My Dad was adopted. Adoption was not as accepted back in that day. I think he felt like a black sheep at times when he was with his extended family. (Some even put clauses like "blood relatives" in their wills! Can you imagine? Not the type people I would want to spend Christmas with! ) However his parents could not have loved him any more.

Adoption has come a long way since the 1940's! And I think families who adopt kids are special in God's eyes because all but one of God's children were adopted! And to think he sacrificed that one to free the rest of us. He could not love us any more! We are a big global family. And even though we can still feel like black sheep when we get with other brothers and sisters in Christ, God sacrificing his only son washed our black fleece white as snow. God loves us as he loves his son. What a gift! Something to think about as many in our world celebrate (even if it is brief and superficial) the birth of Jesus! What a true boost to the real spirit of Christmas!

Oh, and go check out Julie's blog! She and her hubby plan to journey to the Ukraine this March to meet their daughter. I can scarcely imagine what they are feeling and the anticipation... Won't it be fun to get to tag along through the magic of blog land! I can't wait to see the first pictures of Miss Halle Grace!

Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Julie said...

I hadn't heard that song - you're killing me here! I'm going to copy you and add it to my playlist. You're right - adoption has come a long way, and it's about time. We can hardly wait to see God unfold his plan for us - he is so good!
Julie

Nellie said...

The change to the white background is perfect!! Thank you.

And thanks for the link to Julie's blog. I will follow their journey with interest and prayers.

Deana Nall said...

My grandparents adopted a baby from Japan in the early '50s -- when negative feelings against the Japanese were still lingering after WWII. My grandparents had to put up with the occasional stare or comment, but they treated their son like he was no different than my mom, their bio daughter. I remember how shocked I was to find out my Uncle Eddie was adopted. It had never occured to me that he and my mom look so different. I've always admired my grandparents for doing something they knew would not be accepted by everyone so they could give a child a home and a future.

Beaner said...

Even Jesus was adopted (by Joseph)

I'd LOVE to adopt some day - but sometimes I feel like I'm getting too old for that dream though.

Unknown said...

Like the post Steph! Thank you for putting some Thanksgiving pictures in your slide show :)