Sunday, November 21, 2004

10 years

If I were to vanish off the face of the Earth today, what affect would my life have on people ten years from now?

Once, I met a little girl who taught me to measure life more by the ten year yard stick, than by day to day inches. Ten years ago today, my little friend Megan took her last breath on earth as her soul was reborn in Heaven.

Few people have had the impact this 10 year old girl, whose brilliance and incredible sense of humor was trapped in a mentally and physically impaired body, had on my life. I truly believe Megan was the greatest missionary I have ever known. She picked people to bond with. I was one of those lucky ones.

How did she know how much I needed to know her? How did she teach me so much when it seemed she could do so little? Her slobbery kiss is forever burned into my cheek. Her slightly slurred "Hi, I'm Megan" still echoes in my ears. I can't remember many words coming from her, but I do remember "happy", "ouch" and "mmm-whaa", which of course is the universal word for love. All three sum up so well what I remember about Megan.

Her mother played the following song by Twila Paris at a gathering on what would have been Megan's 11th birthday. It rang so true then. Ten year later, it still does.

A visitor from Heaven, If only for a while.
A gift of love to be returned, We think of you and smile.
A visitor from Heaven, Accompanied by Grace.
Reminding of a better love and of a better place.
With aching hearts and empty arms, We send you with a name.
It hurts so much to let you go, But we're so glad you came, we're so glad you came.
A visitor from heaven If only for a while
We thank you for the love you gave And thank you for the smiles
We trust you to the Fathers Love, And to His tender care.
Held in the everlasting arms, And we're so glad you're there, we're so glad you're there.
With breaking hearts and open hands, We send you with a name.
It hurts so much to let you go, But we're so glad you came. Yes we're so glad you came.


Thanks Megan!