Monday, November 29, 2004

Muppets, Messes & Movin' on... Just another manic Monday

I wish it were a Sunday
"cause that's my fun day
My I don't have to run day
Just another manic Monday.....
Those are the only words I remember to that song. Seems to fit...sort of. Lots of this and that I could chat with you about this morning. The most important subject by far though is Rob's job.

My stomach is full of butterflies this morning. Rob faxed his resignation letter to his boss last night. This morning he went in early to call her. There is no way of knowing how this will go over. But regardless, it is time to move on.

This will be a hard day for Rob. He has poured blood, sweat and tears into this bank for three years. He has hit numbers never seen before in branch history and won national recognition for his creative drives and promos...But still his branch is struggling. The downtown location sees no traffic. Downtown Waco is woefully needing revitalization. Though the city has spent millions trying to do just that, it seems too little, too late.

Rob knows that he can not sacrifice his career and our families well being trying to keep a sinking ship afloat... But still it is hard. I could not be prouder of my husband. Everyone who knows Rob knows that he is a hard working, really good guy. Compass Bank has lost the best thing to hit Waco in a long time, and I think they'll soon know that. But it is time to move on. God has again provided Rob with a new, better opportunity to take his career in a different direction. God is always faithful!

Rob starts his new job/career/ life direction on December 13th with L3. Our hope is that the powers that be at Compass will not want a lame duck VP hanging around for the sake of a two weeks notice, and will let Rob have those two weeks off. Wishful thinking? Very! But it would be so nice. Rob really could use a break... And selfishly it would be nice to have him around to help deck the halls.

Back on the homefront... For the first time that I can remember, Thanksgiving weekend is over and our Christmas tree is not up. In fact it isn't even close to being "up"! Everywhere I look there is a big mess! My dining room table is covered in Thanksgiving things that the kids and I gathered from all over the house. Sari's friend thought we were opening a Thanksgiving store when he walked in yesterday. I just can't seem to find the get-up-and-go to get all this stuff put up and gone. There is still a pilgrim on my front door and turkeys in the yard.... Santa still comes on December 24th even if the tree doesn't go up until sometime in December ...Right?

My train of thought just derailed as Sesame Street just had on the funniest skit. A muppet named Dr. Feel (a balding big guy with high eyebrows, wearing a nice suit and cowboy boots) and the real Dr. Phil were arguing over who was the host of the Dr.Phil/Feel show. Of course they learned to work together and talk about their feeling. So funny. Those muppets crack me up. In a world gone mad, I'm glad we still have Sesame Street.

Actually, Sesame Street is a big part of my history. We were both born in December 1969. That means we both have a birthday coming up...but I don't want to talk about that. As a little girl I was convinced it was called Stephanie Street. I just called it "my show". I always wanted to have a brother like Ernie. Bert was too goofy and straight laced for me. And who didn't want to visit Mr Hoopers store? I could not understand why we could not go to Stephanie Street. I was sure it was somewhere in San Angelo and constantly asked grown-ups and strangers "Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Stephanie Street?" they laughed at that but I never knew why. :)

I loved Big Bird. Do you remember how he was the only one who ever saw Snuffleufagus and everyone on the show thought Snuffy was just Big Birds imaginary friend? I have vivid memories of laying awake at night concocting schemes in which Big Bird would trap Snuffy and finally prove to the Sesame Street community that Snuffy was not a "pretend" friend. I always felt so sorry for Big Bird! I outgrew the street during the time Snuffy was seen and became a part of the regulars, seen by all. I wonder if Big Bird trapped him like I dreamed?

Well, on that reminiscent note, I must move on to more grown-up quandaries and attack the mess that's eating my house because, in the words of Dr. Phil and Dr. Feel, "It just isn't working for me."

Hope your Monday isn't as manic and messy as this post!

2 comments:

Susan - said...

I am so excited for Rob and the Grosz family. I can't wait to hear how today went.
Hey, just noticed that you do not allow anonymous comments anymore. Good for you. There are some hateful, spineless people out there.

Donna G said...

Trust me, Santa will come whether or not the tree is up. I didn't find my turkey stuff untill Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Take some lessons from Big-Bird and just "Roll with it".

Congrats to the husband. After 20 plus years in banking I can attest that there is life out there. It was a good living, but life for me is so much better without the petty politics of banking. I hope he finds as much happiness and success as I have.