Saturday, September 03, 2005

Katrina Junkie

I can't stop watching the coverage. I can't stop wondering how these people must feel. I can't stop hoping that this is all a bad dream. I can't help wondering why everyone is trying to blame someone.

Over and over I hear "How can this happen in America, the richest nation in the world??? That strikes me as odd that some think America is immune to disaster, chaos and human suffering. I guess we would like to think that. Denial is a strong and dangerous thing. Horrible things happen even in a nation that is a "superpower". SUPERPOWER...I think that Katrina deserves that title more than we do.

Did we honestly think that all our technology, infastructure and expertise could match a natural disaster of Biblical proportions? News flash...Americans are fragile, frail, faulted human being who hurt and cry and bleed. I love this country, don't get me wrong...but things happen here just as they happen all over the world. We are no better than any other nation in the only eyes that count...God's eyes. We play God sometimes but things like this remind us that only God is God. Our government is not all powerful. Bad things,really bad things, happen to us.

I think this hurricane is the biggest challenge to our nation since the world wars. It is not going to be easy to recover. We will all feel the affects of this horrible storm. No one is going to be exempt. And the people who lost everything...God please heal their hearts and give them courage and strength to start over! Give us unselfish compassionate hearts to help do what ever we all can to help.

My heart hurts for so many of the refugees of this storm! On the other hand, I am a little ticked at a few of them.... Shooting at EMT's trying to evacuate hospitals...Stealing TV's and jewelry when you could be helping rescue people from their flooding houses.. Lord help these people know you and know your grace and discipline.

America is one of he most complex cultures in the world. What did we think would happen if in less than a week a city of several hundred thousand had to be evacuated..When NOTHING is working and hundreds if not thousands are stranded in flooding?
My mom said tonight that she feels guilty for enjoying her good life while so many are suffering. I wonder if we shouldn't feel more guilty for not truly enjoying and appreciating our lives when we see true suffering in the lives of so many.

Just some Katrina ramblings. No words seem big enough or deep enough to capture this tragic event, but thankfully we have a God who is!

1 comments:

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

great thoughts, Steph. Thanks for putting thoughts into words.

Hey--so today this lady at Otter came up and said, "So, I'm supposed to say hi to 'Buffy' from 'Muffy'!" I laughed really hard. You've got to tell Martha Kate. Hug her for me.

You guys come to see us!
LOVE!