Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A casual conversation

I had a great conversation with a man in the doctors office this morning and I wanted to reflect on it here. (Warning : This could take a while! ) This man has served in the military in Iraq and he is about to serve again. He had been talking with two other women when I walked in. They were talking about how disheartening it was to see a protest like the one last Saturday in Washington DC where Cindy Sheehan and 100,000 others called for an end to the war, NOW!

He said he, and others in his unit, felt like these protests were a stab in the back. He talked about the need for someone to stand up and fight for freedom and what is right. He talked about telling his mother and family not to ever join such a protest even if he lost his life, because he is doing what he believes in and is happy to serve. He said he had heard from those who served with Casey Sheehan that he would have never wanted his Mom to do this.

He said all these polls saying America doesn't back this war sicken him. He also talked about how Americans are spoiled to all the freedoms we enjoy and that we don't realize what a privilege it is to live in this country. He talked about how there are those in this world who feel we have too much freedom and would love the chance to snatch those freedoms away. He talked about how horrible it would be for the US if we just pulled out of Iraq. He said that those who have been there understand how important it is for this war to be won. He said he didn't think the US would ever be able to pull out of Iraq completely ...Unless we want to see the whole region explode and acts of terror on our own soil.

The soldier was calm, well mannered, and very respectful. He wasn't gritting his teeth or pounding his fist. He just seemed resolved to do what needs to be done. I have a world of respect for that man!

The other two ladies and I told him that we think most of America understands that we have to stay the course and stand behind our troops by helping them, not calling for them all to come home now. I told him that I think it is sad that the news focuses so much on the radical groups who give their lives over to protesting. (Really, do these people not have jobs? How can they even afford to sit out in a pasture for 20 -30 days protesting?) We talked about the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of us who don't take polls or take the time to stand out in the streets to show our support of troops and their efforts to win this war, but we are behind them 100% and resolute to see this ugly thing through.

We asked him about his family and and the places he had served. We all said how much we respect military families. We thanked him for serving for us. He grinned and said he thought it was great that three strangers would be so open and caring.. He was saying "Every where I go I meet people like you who build me up. That is why I am willing to fight. That is what makes America great..." Then I was called back to see the doctor. I was sad for our conversation to end. I shook his hand and again said thank you. He said it was his pleasure. I never caught his name.

I have thought about that soldier all day today. I have thought about just how much freedom we enjoy here in the good ole USA. I have thought about the families of these brave men and women that go without and suffer immeasurable pain when separated...And to think I start to feel sorry for myself when Rob works late three nights in a row! I have thought about what that soldier said about having to win a war in Iraq to keep a war off of American soil and ensure freedom. I have thought about the pain of the families who protested last Saturday and the commercials that show grieving Moms and Widows asking President Bush to bring all our sons and daughters home NOW, no matter what the consequence. I have thought about what Jesus would do and what God wants us to do.

I wish there were easy answers. I wish no one had to loose a loved one in a far away land for a cause they don't really understand let alone believe in. It's easy to support a war you don't have to fight. It's easier to be against a war in which you have lost someone you love deeply. It must be hard to go fight for something, even if you believe in it, knowing so many do not understand or appreciate what you are doing for them. We humans are complex animals.

Sometimes it seems like all the options are bad and none of the answers are right. But this I know, our God, who does understand, and who always knows what is best and what is right, is in control. He is in control when nations rise and fall. He is in control when storms rage and when storms wane. I may never understand the heart and mind of our awesome God, but I believe in my heart and mind that he is good and he will save all who come to him. While we are on this planet we must do our best to fight what is evil and show great love and humility to bring honor to his name. We may never solve the worlds problems or know complete peace but we press on. In the end, this world is temporary and fleeting and God is in control.

Well enough reflection... Now back to action. I will fold the towels and clean up the juice spills with a bit more gratitude in my heart today because of the man in the doctors office and the incredible God who loves and directs us all.
I will appreciate the freedom to take my children to church tonight and the option I have not to.
I will tell my kids I love them as I tuck them into their soft safe beds and hug them extra tight thinking of the sons and daughters fighting for us so far away.
I will pray for the man I met today and pray I am the person I need to be tomorrow.
Everyday is a gift.

2 comments:

SG said...

Teri~ Please know my heart goes out to you and I am so grateful for all your family has sacrificed and is sacrificing for our country! I hope you don't mind my asking this, but I really want to know what you think I can do as an individual, and what can our churches can do to help and support you and families like yours when your husband is away? Or even when he is home? I know a few families of soilders but not any very well. What would be the greatest gift you could get from a stranger to help you? I'm so glad you left on a comment on this blog!!! Stephanie

SG said...

Thanks teri! Again I so appreciate you stopping by to comment! Your seuggestion is great and I plan to take it to heart!