Saturday, March 11, 2006

Spring Saturday

Today was our first official day of Spring Break! The kids celebrated by spending the night at my Moms last night. Rhett was calling us by 8:00am though as he was ready to come home and work in the yard with Dad. Of course Dad was asleep, but that didn't seem to matter to Rhett. Kolby, our little social butterfly, had two back to back birthday parties today and a very messy room to clean up before hand.

We have a new deal with Kolby. During the week we are not going to be picky about how she keeps her room, but she has to clean it up Saturday before she goes anywhere or does anything. From the amount of tears and numerous "failed inspections" we had before the 1pm party deadline, I'm not so sure this new system is working. Anyone have any ideas on how to get an 8 year old girl to keep her room and closet tidy WITHOUT TEARS?

Today was a busy one. Rob rented an aerator for our yard and my parents yard. Seems our ground is so hard that when we water, it runs off clear instead of soaking in. SOOO for the first time in our lives we aerated the yard. Well, Rob did anyway. Who knew we had to actually pay to do stuff like this when we grew up and owned a house? :) Rob's Saturday was spent in the two yards.

My Saturday was spent carpooling and running little errands. As I was leaving the mall to pick Kolby up from party # 2, I saw a family beside me in the parking lot unloading their three little girls. They looked awfully familiar. I rolled down my window and stopped backing out and asked "Are you Tracy?" YES that is right! I met my blog world friend TRACY in person!!! Tracy, Scott and the girls were parked right beside me at Dillards. What are the odds? Even though I couldn't talk for long, it was really great to meet Tracy and her family. The girls are just as beautiful in person as they are on her blog! Now I have a voice to go with a face. I actually think I saw her at HEB a week or so ago but at the time I wasn't sure and had a sick child with me. But now that I have met one bloggy friend, I want to meet more of you! I truly love my little blog family! ...But back to the day...

For the perfect ending to our Saturday, Mom kept the kids while Rob and I had a dinner date to a Steakhouse we have been wanting to try. They had good food but, I really just enjoyed getting to talk to my husband uninterrupted. Date nights are so important in a marriage. We vowed to try for more of them!

We capped the night off with a "survey" trip to Lowes. Though not very romantic, it was really good to get some of the "before the baby comes projects" mapped out and planned. We have barely had a chance to talk about any of these things before now. It was great just to stroll the aisles and talk without chasing down or keeping an eye on the kids. Please don't get me wrong. We love our kids and love to be around them, but breaks are nice!

Now as Rob and the kids sleep all snug in their beds, I am wide awake scheming through ideas and plans for things that need to be done in this house. It's funny how an hour in Lowes can get my creative, organizational, "do-it-yourself" juices flowing! Hopefully they will stop flowing soon so I can get some sleep!
Six more days of Spring Break ahead, Woo Hoo!
Hope you all had a fun, productive, beautiful spring Saturday!
G'night!

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I don't know if it was as early as 8 yrs old, but I know by age 10 we had pretty much the same rule - the bedroom AND bathroom had to be "mommy clean" within 1 hour of us getting up on Saturday mornings. I know we hated it and fought it, but it seemed to work pretty well. I'm sure that we had some kind of reward/demerit system also. Don't know if that helps you or not, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

mom23 said...

It was so much fun meeting you! I'm thrilled that you had the courage to ask if it were me. I'm just embarassed that I replied in such a silly way. Oh well, I guess I just can't hide my dorkiness! We will have to get together soon, but next time on purpose and with more time!

Tracy

Anonymous said...

My room was a garbage pit! My mother and I stayed at odds as long as I lived with my parents. Now, it's a place for everything and everything in its place. I think it has something to do with having to pay for my house! Hmmm, can you charge an 8 year old rent?

Donna G said...

I like your plan....6 days she can live in squalor without fear....then one day! Usually the time it takes on the one day gets old.

I crammed everything under my bed!