Friday, March 31, 2006

To the body parts formerly known as ankles...

Dear blobs of swelling between my heels and calves,

You used to be known as ankles. I am sure that no one would be able to identify you as such now. I'm so sorry that our body has shunned and disfigured you in this way. For some reason, body seems to think that the baby growing in our uterus would be better served if you too looked bloated and impregnated.

However, do not be alarmed. Body has made this same mistake with every pregnancy. With Kolby who was born in cold February, you disappeared around the first of January and came back by the time we were home from the hospital. With Rhett, who was born in miserably hot September, you went MIA in late June and reappeared before October. This baby, due in July, is already showing signs of being an over-achiever because I haven't seen you in a week, and it's only March. Hopefully we will see you again in August.

I miss you already. It is hard to walk around all day with you being buried under all that watery tissue. Seems you just can't bend and rotate the way God designed. Don't worry though, it won't last forever. A few weeks after the baby is out, you both will return to your former selves with little or no signs of your great transformation. I wish the same could be said for your friends tummy and butt. Those two have never been able to fully recover. BUT SHHHH! We won't mention stretch marks and all as tummy and butt are pretty sensitive and may not yet remember what is in store for them in months to come!!!

In the mean time, to help you guys out down there I will prop you up, put you in ice water, and lay on my left side whenever possible. As soon as I get a pedicure, your new best friends flip-flop and sling will accompany you anytime shoes are necessary. Other wise, we will go barefoot and try our best to get by with out you while you're gone. If at all possible, try to drop by occasionally in the morning before our feet touch the ground, just so I can remember what you are supposed to look like.

I know it will be rough. On those days when you no longer recognize yourself and fear you might get stuck this way forever, remember this is the last time we will ever be pregnant. Remind yourselves that this temporary discomfort and sacrifice is helping to bring a little miracle into the world. Tell yourselves that it will all be worth it when our arms hold a brand new baby. And if those things don't help.... Well, we only have 15 weeks to go! (Maybe less if heart and blood pressure get pumped up again.) But we are strong and we can do anything for 15 weeks! Right?

Enjoy your 4 month sabbatical to swollendome. You guys will be sorely missed!

Love ,
36 and 25 weeks pregnant

8 comments:

jettybetty said...

Too funny!
Hope you are not to in toooo much pain!
Just a few more weeks and you will be holding a precious baby girl!

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

Very funny post but you neglected to mention the formerly perky boobies! I guess they are pretty sensitive too (but not as much as they will be!) :0) Keep up the good attitude and know that it will not last forever and the reward will be a beautiful baby. It almost makes me want to be pregnant again. (ALMOST being the operative word, after 9 years No thank you)

Deana Nall said...

During the summer of '04, we were in Abilene leading a group at Kadesh while I was 7 mos. pregnant. The heat and all that walking must have affected me because each leg became one curveless column that ran straight down into my shoes. I called my doc's office and said, "I have old lady legs!" Really, I thought something might be wrong because they had swollen so quickly. "Is this your first pregnancy?" asked the nurse, who thought I was some paranoid first-timer. No, it was my FIFTH, thank you very much, but this had never happened to me before.

Anyway, everything's back to normal. You will have ankles again.

Kelley said...

During my first pregnancy, my ankles and feet swelled so bad I could no longer wear shoes, only some slippers. It was very embarassing. I had to choose some that matched my outfits. In pictures of me at my big baby shower with all the family, I am wearing an off white dress and little off white slippers. Even when I took the slippers off, there was a distinct mark wherever the shoes touched my feet. I remember after he was born being amazed at how slim my ankles looked.
Bless your sweet heart. "And it came to pass......."

Susie said...

Oh GOSH, I remember that! It was especially bad with my firstborn whom I was pregnant with in HOT HOUSTON. UGH! The humidity was 100%, and I would force those poor tootsies into dress shoes on Sunday, and I didn't DARE take them off until I got home. Otherwise, I might not have been able to get them back on! It's hot here in Alabama, but we have NOTHING on Houston! ICK!
Hope you're otherwise feeling okay . . . : )

Anonymous said...

Watch your mailbox...

Amy S. Grant said...

Oh the things we put up with...for the love! (Wish I knew how to bold and italicize in comments!)

sarahdawn said...

I found you via Deana and you crack me up. We too are in our surprise third round of baby. I love this post. Though I have been blessed this time to not watch my ankles disappear, I feel your pain. Each day I tell my esaphogus (sp?) not to fear, in a short 3 weeks - or less - I will stop scalding it with acid every 3-4 hours and it can return to it's normal peaceful existence!! Hang in there!