Monday, May 15, 2006

Big Weekend, Big Blessings

We had a big weekend again this week but for all the right reasons this time!

The weekend started out with two very big prayers being answered. First my uncle had been told last week that some spots removed from his bladder looked cancerous. Though the prognosis was good even if they were cancerous, we were all thrilled to hear the great news last Thursday that it was all benign! My uncle is an incredible man and I can't tell you how happy we all are that he is OK!

Next Rob got a call from his sister saying she is expecting in December!!! We are all so happy! My sister-in-law has being trying to have a second baby for over three years. After all sorts of treatments and a miscarriage, we are so grateful that she is pregnant and all the test and sonogram look great! Her son is just two months younger than Rhett and this one will be just five months younger than our baby girl! Cousins are so fun!

After good news like that, the rest of the weekend had to go well...and it did. Rhett had a t-ball game Friday night. He played the team of his favorite "dude" Michael from school. Michael and Rhett just love each other. Rhett even said he wanted Michael's team to win because when they played each other last fall in soccer, Michael's team lost. Since we don't keep score in t-ball and everyone gets to score, we were all winners. It was a really fun game.

Saturday Kolby, my Mom and I got up bright and early and headed for Dallas. We were on a mission to get bumper pads for the new nursery and do some baby shopping. After calling all over the state, we found out the only store that had the bedding we wanted was the Pottery Barn Kids in Frisco, Texas. So we made a day of it! Our first stop was IKEA in Frisco. I love IKEA! The store amazes me. We picked up two rugs, some trays, some decorative things for Kolby's room and had a great time just looking at all the stuff! We even had a little snack in their super cool resteraunt. I'm sure we looked like country folks in the big city just gwaking at all there was to see.

We then headed to Stonebriar to Pottery Barn Kids for the bumper pads. I have a bit of a confession. My mom is much more into the decoration of this nursery than I am. I want it to be cute and flowery but I'm not too picky about actual pattern. Mom bought some bumper pads in Austin that I really liked. She however didn't like how they looked in the room with the current paint color and wanted something more pastel and delicate. So we took those back and got something she likes better. I like them both, but I guess this pattern is sweeter and more girly.

Rob laughs at us because he thinks a flowery print is a flowery print and anything would work. He has come so far though in our almost ten years of marriage and totally accepts that I, like my mother before me, have to have things a certain way when it comes to decorating the house. No white walls, no un-matching anything, no hodge-podge just use it because you have it works decor etc. As a military kid who lived in base housing most of his growing up years, that has been hard for him to get used to. But I stray...

For an early Mothers Day present, Kolby and I took Mom to the Cheesecake Factory for a late lunch/early dinner! We all love the Cheesecake Factory! We had a great lunch topped off with a piece of Adams Peanut Butter Fudge Ripple Cheesecake, which is to die for! We then rolled ourselves around the corner to the famous Sam Moons! Kolby was heart broken that we wouldn't let her get a diamond-eek tiara for $15.00. She has at least three Disney type tiaras for dress-up, but she wanted this one because it looked so real. She tried to sell us on the deal by saying she could wear it to church every Sunday! As amusing as that thought was, we told her she would have to wait. She was a bit pouty but resolved to return when she is a "teenager" to get a crown and sceptor for her first "prom". I can't wait to remind her of that in eight or so years!

We should have called it a day then, but no, we had to squeeze in a few more stores. Our last stop was a Babies-R-Us. If I thought the baby section of Toys-R-Us was overwhelming, I should have known what Babies-R-Us would do to me! But, I am getting better about all that. With Mom by my side, we were able to make a more practical list of things we need. I am old enough and experienced enough to know that we don't have to have everything to be good parents...like a wipe warmer and a diaper stacker that matches the bedding. But there are some things, like a waterproof crib mattress cover NOT made of plasticand a changing table pad, that we will need. We actually didn't buy a thing. We just made a list and plan to return before the baby comes. We got home around 9:30PM and were all a bit pooped!

Sunday we had a great Mothers Day! Despite a huge thunderstorm that dropped three inches of rain in our back yard in a matter of three hours and caused a few flash floods in the area, our day was great. We went to church and then Rob headed out to my aunt and uncles to help all the guys grill a big lunch/dinner for all the Moms in the family. They grilled rib-eyes, shrimp and Terriaki chicken. It was al so good! I love this tradition that my Uncle started! We had a great family day complete with the viewing of a Star Wars movie, a kid style show and lots and lots of visiting. We pulled in the drive-way about 8:45 last night. I had just enough time to get unloaded, put the kids in the bath tub, make them a little supper and catch Grey's Anatomy.

OH MY GOODNESS! GA freaked me out last night! I am so excited to see the season finale tonight! I am planning to stay home and just soak it in.

Well, I guess that is about it! Rhett and I hope to go eat lunch with Kolby today so I better get going. Hope you had a great Mother' s Day Weekend! Tune in tomorrow for and all GA discussion blog! :)

3 comments:

Beaner said...

I tried watching GA once, but it was too "who's sleeping with who & who's dating who" for my taste.....but I can see why some might like it. I'm more into "Lost", "Alias", and "Arrested Developement" right now.

Of course...you DID watch Star Wars on Mother's Day, so you're not ALL that girlie!

Amy S. Grant said...

I love that little girl crib set. Almost makes me want to have another one! I'll just have to enjoy your nesting vicariously.

Susan - said...

So, what about GA? What did you think? I cried.