Friday, May 26, 2006

Bye Bye 2nd grade, HELLO SUMMER!

Today is the last day of school for Kolby! Even though I haven't been in a school situation personally for over 12 years, I still love the last day of school! It is always such an incredibly great feeling to have another year completed and know after a great summer everything will start over new next year. This is Kolby's teacher's last year here as she is moving back home to South Carolina. We will really miss Mrs. Mosier! She was such a wonderful person and an incredible teacher. She was a pilot teacher for a new (as in not SAXON) phonics program this year. Kolby thrived with this new program.

(brag warning!) Yesterday Kolby got an AR Award. Lots of kids did, but any kind of reading award means a lot when you are dyslexic! Last year at this time we were so apprehensive about how Kolby would do this year. (OK apprehensive doesn't quite describe the terror I felt.) With lots of hard work , an intense summer camp, twice a week tutoring at Baylor, and an incredibly sweet teacher who understood her challenges, Kolby was able to make the all A or A/B honor roll all four of the 9 week grade periods! She still struggles more than we wish, but she has come so far! I am not worried about her academically anymore. Third grade and the looming TAKS test are a bit intimidating, but I feel sure she will be able to excel.

So let summer begin! Hallelujah! It's the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
UPDATED WITH PICTURES AT 3PM
Today, the last day of second grade with Mrs. Mosier.



The first day of school last August.

7 comments:

elizabeth said...

Yeah! I love the last day of school too. It reminds me of being a kid and being excited about the summer/sad about leaving my teacher/anxious about being a grade higher.

I am ready for some relaxation with my three babies. OK, maybe relaxation wasn't the best word there!

Donna G said...

I miss that last day of school feeling.....

MDM said...

CONGRATS, CONGRATS to Kolby! I love to hear about hard-working kiddos getting rewarded. Kolby sounds like such a determined person. She will always do well!! It is our last day, too! I love this feeling. Time for some fun, fun, fun!

Donna G said...

and by the way...Way to GO KOLBY!!

Really Really Big Man said...

Awwww, Kolby is soooo cute. Reminds me of a picture I have of my youngest (she's in college now ... my how time flies) when she went to school for the first time ... all dolled up in her little jean outfit and lunchbox. Thanks for sharing the pics of your daughter. Enjoy your time together with her this summer. Be blessed! rr

Susie said...

I'm so glad school is out, too. I have my 3 babies home! : )

We also lost a good teacher in Daniel's 1st grade teacher. She retired. She was awesome, and I was so sad that Madeline wouldn't be able to have her. Sad to see a good teacher go . . .

Go Kolby! I know you're so proud! : )

Great pictures, but wow. Kolby looks so much older now than she did at the beginning of the year. She grew a bunch. : )

Jacinda said...

She's moving to South Carolina?!? Great! Maybe Gracie can have her for a teacher someday! :-)