Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Night terror

I'm in Dr Lakey's class on the second floor of Morris and I have an exam in five minute across campus on the second story of the business building with Dr Jozell Brister. Dr Lakey will not let us go. He keeps talking and talking. He stops me as I try to leave and the rest of the class streams out the other door. He gives up and let's me go. Finally, I am out of his class and trying to navigate the extremely narrow (like 12 inch wide) staircase to get out of the buiding. With help, I finally leave D Morris. No matter how fast I walk, the business building is not getting any closer. People are trying to stop me to talk about club and senate and my ex-boyfriend. Leave me alone please! I'm going to be late! Dr Brister will not let me take my exam if I am late. I will fail the class. I am running. I run in the door to the business building and again there are very thin stairs with no bannisters and at least a hundred foot drop off on either side. I am terrified but I keep going. Finally I arrive at the door of the class only to be met by Dr Brister. I am late. I may not take the exam. I will surely fail the class if I don't go drop it this moment. I want to scream but I have no voice. She turns to leave then suddenly I find my voice and say "Dr Brister I have worked hard in this class all semester long, if I drop today I will get an WF or WP and it will still cost me and my family $800 to $900 dollars. When was the last time someone fined you $800 for being five minuted late?" She looks at me as if she is thinking about it, and I wake up sweating and so glad to know it was just another bad college dream!!!!

College nightmares! I am still haunted by them! Last night's version was strange because I only had Dr Brister for one class and it was my freshman year. It was a junior level Macroeconmics class that I should never have been in and didn't even need. Apparently my summer advisor who registered me messed up. Dr Brister had no idea I was a first semester freshman until the last week of class. She was so sweet and so troubled that I had been put in that class, but there was nothing we could do about it so late in the game. I think I made a C. Dr Brister was very nice and never had a "no exam if you are late rule," at least not that I remember. What is it about college that 16 years later it still haunts my sleep? Why do I still wake up in a sweat from dreaming I slept through a test or registered for a class and forgot to go until the last week of class?

Anyway, last nights dream was a little different from normal becase I was able to go up the stiars. Usually, I am just stuck there. AND in last nights dream I was able to speak up for myself and question my unfair predicament. Usualy I am unable to talk no matter how hard I try. So what does that mean? Any dream interpreters out there?

The Bibe talks about God speaking to people in dreams. I wonder if he still does that. I wonder if we pass off his messages to us as eating too soon before bed or indegistion? How do we know if it is God or the scarey movie we just watched before bedtime?

Well Rhett and I are off to the zoo so I have to run. Do you have any reoccuring dreams? What do you think they mean?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HATE the college dreams. I am almost always in Keller Hall (it gets taller and taller) I find out that I am late for an exam for a class I forgot about. I never went to the class and now I have to take an exam!!! (Not too far from the truth) I still wake up thinking, "I should be studying something!) It's been 20 years!!!

elizabeth said...

I have known Jozelle Brister since I was 5 years old!

I always dreamed I was back in college going through rush pregnant every time I was pregnant. What a nightmare!

Beaner said...

I have college nightmares too! It's the first day of classes, usually around 7:77 am. I KNOW that I have an 8 am class, but I don't have my class schedule & I have to RUN to get one printed out in Julian Hall before i can go to my class.

I LOVE to study dreams & I think there are SOME that tell us something about ourselves (by God) but others are just our brains throwing out the trash.

The other night I dreamed about Tom Riddle & My Little Ponies (thank you to Harry Potter & my daughter's b-day!)

My other reoccurring nightmare is when my teeth fall out. (I've heard this means you're afraid of "losing face" in a given situation in real life.) Anyway....I really DO try to go over my dreams & see if God is trying to tell me anything.

Beaner said...

OOPS - should be 7:55 am.......maybe I should proofread!!!

Jacinda said...

I dream about my teeth falling out, too! I thought for sure I was the only one who did that! I'll dream that they're loose and then I pull them. So weird!

I went to the dentist today and can honestly say that they're in good shape! No toothless grins from me!

Susan - said...

Why do we all have that common dream? Isn't that odd? I do it too. In another version I am back in high school and cannot remember my locker combination.

MDM said...

I would love to study dreams! I have the college-mares that I have forgotten about certain classes and it is just too late to go back and catch up. I get scared of what my dad will say about dropping too late, etc., etc....I am usually in the admin. building thinking of all of it. It was so weird being back in that ol' admin. building this passed March trying to get my degree plan finished. It was a rush of memories. Great ones. I love ACU. I also have the "my teeth have all fallen out" dream. Weird. Also, the trying to scream and run, but can't do either.

Nicki W. said...

I am soooo glad that someone else has these dreams. I probably have them once every other week!

Amy S. Grant said...

I rarely have dreams that I remember, and I would wish that I did. But now, maybe not - real life is stressful enough! :-)

Clarissa said...

Oh, MDM, I have that dream ALL the time that I've forgotten I was even registered for a class and it's the week of finals and I remember and I fail. It's a bad, bad dream.