Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Happy Birthday Rob!

Last year I wrote this about my favorite guy on his birthday. Last year we were celebrating the premeire of Star Wars Episode 3 and having a great time. No big plans this year, though we did call in a sub for the 4 year old class at church tonight. I think we are going to just have a quiet night out and come home for birthday banana pudding.

Last night we went to see Rob's last softball game of the season. (Which is misleading because I am sure a new season will start next week.) Anyway, it was a cool night and a early game and we all had fun watching Daddy! He hit one in-field home run, a few rbi's and later on his last at bat he hit an over-the-fence home run that helped his team win the game 14 to 12. I think they came in at first place for the season. Pretty impressive for a thirty something year old guy! I met Rob on the softball feilds almost eleven years ago. I don't think he has missed too many spring or summer seasons since then and he still seems to play better and better each year. Just goes to show, you can take the boy out of the game, but you can't take the game out of the boy!

Ten years ago today Rob was turning 25. We were engaged and planning our August wedding. I threw a big surprise party for him at a favorite Mexican resteraunt in San Angelo. My parents gave him a gas grill which we still use. Most of our grooms men and lots of friends were there. We ate, danced and talked 'till the wee hours of the morning. It was such a fun night. I wonder if we had had a glimpse ten years into our future if we would have cut and run! Seriously! Five moves, eight jobs, two kids and one on the way, living across the street from my parents in Waco of all places, driving old cars, PTA, paper routes, trying to make ends meet, trying not to miss out on one minute of our kids childhood, t-ball games, basketball games, tutors, dentitst appointments, millions of loads of laundry, Saturday to-do list that leave us exhausted, family moments we wish we could freeze and keep forever.... So much good and bad (though I think more good) It might have been too much for those fun loving 25 year olds to handle! Maybe it's good that God lets us have our days one at a time!

HOWEVER I am so proud of Rob and wouldn't want to do this thing called life with anyone else! I have said it before, Rob is a rock. He is seldom down and believes everything will work out eventually. He works so hard. He knows when to take a break. He is steady as the day is long! He doesn't take himself or much of anything too seriously. He makes me laugh, even when I do not want to. He is a great dad. A great friend. A great husband. A great Christian. I am very blessed to be his wife. I love you honey! Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Jacinda said...

This is a nice tribute to what sounds like a wonderful husband, father & man!

Susan - said...

Happy Birthday Rob!

Really Really Big Man said...

Now that was really sweet! I feel like I know your husband (just a little bit anyway). That was very nice of you to write about your husband that way. I am sure he appreciates your love and support for him ... what husband wouldn't? I too have a wonderful spouse ... Karen. Even though we are "second timers", as in divorced and remarried, I feel that we both got it right this time around and are with our soul mate for keeps. It's a nice feeling, isn't it? Hey, Rob, Happy Birthday! Be blessed! Random Rich

Susie said...

Happy birthday, Rob! Hope you had a good one. : )