Thursday, June 08, 2006

Getting Along

( rant warning)
With school out and both kids home we are having some "getting along issues" in our house, some for the first time really. Seems an 8 year old and an almost 5 year old find more to argue about than they ever have before. I constantly hear myself saying "You guys are going to have to be nice and learn to get along." We have talked about respecting each other and not saying hurtful things. Truthfully it has been exhausting!

One of my mommy escapes is to blog and read my e-paper. But this morning's read reminded me that kids aren't the only ones who struggle with "being sweet to each other and getting along." Seldom do I agree with Senator Hillary Clinton, but this time I have to say she has a point. Not to pick on Ann Coulter, but she goes way too far in my opinion. In fact there are way too many peoiple who have gone too far when it comes to criticism these days. Too many in our political process make a living off of dishing "the other guys" to prove a point. There are no boundries, no decent lines of respect, no punch too far below the belt. It's always all out war. It needs to stop. There are too many pundits and critics and too few public servants in the political landscape of our world.

The political polarizing of America in order "to get what our side wants" has gone too far. The left, the right, Republicans, Democrats, Liberals, Conservatives, Christians, Jews .... All of us are all guilty. I'm so tired of hearing from each party and each special interest group about what is broken in this country and what should be addressed by the government. I want to scream "Stop whining and do something constructive!" Seems we all need to go back to grade school days and re-learn manners, respect, sacrificing for others good, getting along, and just plain old being "nice"... Things that an exit tests can't gauge, but things that are more true indicators of what a person will contribute to the world in life.

I guess after reading about the ruckus going on the world, I should not be surprised or alarmed that my 8 and almost 5 year old haven't quite learned what politicians five times their age have yet to figure out. I will however double my efforts to teach my kids to get along, love each other, sacrifice my wants for your needs, and respect even those they do not agree with. I'm afraid our world today will not teach them any of these things. Where are all the good examples of servanthood, sacrifice, self control and working for the common good? I guess Jesus is the only example we can really hold up. I guess in ways that has always been the case. (end rant)

Thanks for letting me get that out. Back to Mommy world. Hope your summer is going well and that you have a great Thursday ....Oh and just for today, try to be nice and get along! OK? :)

3 comments:

jettybetty said...

I agree with you--our kids don't see lots of examples of people even trying to get along--that makes parenting harder--but not impossible.

KELLI said...

I have a 9 & 6 year old, so I will stay tuned to see if you figure out how to get them to behave. I still haven't figured it out.

Beaner said...

Mine are 7 & 5 - I'm dealing with the same thing!

Why do we all go to extremes? (Think Billy Joel song) Whatever happened to moderation & balance? We ALL need to find some middle ground if we're going to get along in this world.