Saturday, June 03, 2006

What's in a name?

I am taking a short break from my "clutter clearing, house organizing, furniture sanding, life altering home make over nesting" mania to vent about my latest mental challenge. I am completely conflicted over the name of this baby! We have narrowed it down to two, possibly three combinations. Why is this so hard for me? Why can't I just pick one out of a hat and be happy? I have never struggled over names like this. The first two ( Sara Kolby and Rhett Thomas) were easy to come up with for us. We agreed immediately. I love my kids names.

There were some grumbles when I insisted that Kolby be called Kolby and not Sara. I like the name Sara and all, in fact it was a tribute to my sister Sari and the many Sarahs in my family tree. But I wanted her called Kolby. Originally I wanted to name Kolby Shelby, but there were lots of Shelbys and my cousin named her dog that. I couldn't name my first born after a dog. I came across the boy name Colby and decided it sounded like a girl name to me. I also wanted Kolby to have my initials, SKG. AND Kolby Sara just didn't sound right. So, much to my in-laws chagrin, we call our daughter by her middle name. Who made the rule that you had to be called by your first name? Think outside the box people! (end rant)

Rhett's name was also easy. As far back as I can remember I have always loved the name Rhett. I had a good friend named Rhett. He was one of two people who I had a class with every year from first grade until we graduated from High School. Rhett was the life of the party and the nicest, most fun, guy. He was actually related to some of my relatives, so we kidded about being cousins. Rhett was the kind of guy I would have loved to have had for a brother. He reminded me a lot of my cousin Robby. Everyone liked Rhett. Tragically, Rhett was killed in a car wreck in college. I wrote his sweet Mom and Dad when my Rhett was born. They were thrilled to hear of another little Rhett and we still keep in touch now through Christmas cards. Thomas is Rob's middle name and my sweet grandaddy's first name...Although he was called Caskey, his middle name, his whole life. Rhett and Rob share the monogram RTG.

Now here we are on baby number three. Again one of my family member's has named their dog a name I would really like to use. Rob doesn't want his daughter sharing the name of a dog. The name I like the best is beautiful but again, I want the baby called by the middle name if we use this one. Rob isn't too sure he wants to do that again. Then there are some family names, but I'm not so sure I like them as much. Kolby likes my favorite name, Rhett likes Rob's preferred name of the moment...Though it is really Rob's third choice name because I nixed the other two. Rob said he would be fine with whatever I decide...but I want him to like the name as much as I do.

So we have six weeks to decide and I have no idea what will change that will make us pick a name. Would it be too much to give the baby 4 names? Yeah, I thought so! Let me know how you decided on your kids names. Any secrets or hints?

Back to the nesting phase....
Have a great weekend!

PS Want to see how common or uncommom your name is? Go look at this site! I have been spending lots of time here lately!

15 comments:

Susan - said...

Lydia! It is in the bible and it is not in the top 1000 names for 2000. I was going to name a girl Lydia Katherine at one point. But it does not sound as good the other way to me: Katherine Lydia.

Lydia is my cousin's name and I have always loved it, but I am not sure she agrees with me.

Susan - said...

Sorry, I just thought of something else. On the old Dick Van Dyke Show the son's middle name was Rosebud. I am not suggesting Rosebud, but the joke was that the family members all wanted something different, so they took the first letter of all the names and made one name from them. Work with that. ha

Susan - said...

OK, scratch the Lydia thing, I read the chart wrong. It was actually #119 last year.

Donna G said...

I had to see my babies to make the final decision. But I did know that we would all have the same first and last initial (DG) and my son shares my husbands middle name and my daughter shares mine...

One other thing for me was that my Dad had trouble with some of the "new" names, so I stuck with traditional names to make it easy for him to remember his first grandchildren....

mom23 said...

Baby names are so much fun! And so stressful! Naming each of my girls was a totally different experience than the others. The perfect name will come to you. If not, I love Annie, Lucy, Lily, and Emily.

mom23 said...

oh and Lola.

MDM said...

How fun to be naming a little girl. I know you will name her something cute and unique like your other two. I always dream of naming one more girl. I love the name Meredith so much. I wonder if Grey's will start a trend of baby Meredith's? I think Evelyn and Charlotte are cute, too. I just realized recently who I always thought you were at ACU....Gene Stalling's daughter. I had a class with her and that is who I have thought you were until recently.

Beaner said...

A lady that I knew wanted to give her daughter a Biblical name, but didn't really like any of them.....so she came up with Genesis (the girl goes by Genna) It IS unique!

Mae said...

B hated the name Hadlee, but agreed to it due to 3 things...
1. He chose her middled name, thus her initials are HAH
2. I'm his very pregnant, overly emotional, manipulative, loving wife...
3. The other option was our mothers' maiden names (which I knew he'd never go for!) Morgan Vineyard!

:) My suggestion... well, who really knows? I got Hadlee off of a baby story, but it really fits her ~ if only I can get people to understand that it's NOT Natalie, could have something to do w/ the ol' southern accent, huh?

Ok, stopping the novella and updating my page soon. Toodles.

SG said...

MDM No I am not her but she was one of my ACU roommates and is still one of my best friends. In fact our families went to lunch after church and our girls played together all day yesterday...so you aren't too far off!

Anonymous said...

If Hayden had been a girl her name would have been Ivy. I saw a beautiful green eyed baby on the front of a magazine when I was preganant and her name was Ivy, I've loved it ever since!
lex ann

elizabeth said...

I love little girl names! I only got to use my favorite one.

I have a friend who had two boys the same ages as mine. She got pregnant with her little girl 2 months after I did with ME. She named her Ivy Ann which I thought was pretty. (And a little weird b/c that is the name of a street in Woodway!)

Bonnie said...

Just a stranger popping in...thought I'd pass along my very favourite baby name website in case you haven't seen it before! Good luck finding the perfect name.

We have a 8mo boy named Ronan and if he was a girl we were going to name him Cadence or Bronwyn - we like kind of different and celtic names.

Here it is: Have fun! The blog that the site runs is interesting also, if you're in 'name' mode. :)

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

bonnie

Anonymous said...

I had a doll once named Niecie...

I don't know why. I like Ellie, Claudia, Sophie

Susie said...

Well, John Daniel was a third, so that was a given. Madeline Susannah was a nod to myself and my mother (Linda Sue and Susan Lynn). Malachi was a good biblical name which means "My angel"--Andrew (his middle name) is after my brother. If Malachi had been a girl, he would have been Charlotte Elizabeth. I do love old fashioned names and biblical names with meaning.

BTW, I love the name Meredith also. You could call her Meri. : ) (Read Waterfalls by Robin Jones Gunn)