Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Happy Birthday Sari!

Today is my sister's birthday! I was 8 1/2 when she was born which is almost exactly how old Kolby will be when this baby is born! I still remember so many of the details of the day Sari was born. She was overdue by a few days so my mother was induced. I remember sitting in the hospital waiting room with my grandparents for most of the day just waiting and waiting... It was no picnic for my Mom either. After hours and hours of labor, the doctor finally used forceups to get sari out and broke my Mom's tail bone in the process. Mom had to sit of a plastic clear donut for months afterward.

I just knew Sari was going to be a boy but really wanted her to be a girl. I would have been relieved at her birth except she came out looking like a little Eskimo! Every other baby in our family to that point (me and 3 cousins) had been blond with blue eyes. Sari had dark eyes, dark hair, and because she was a tad jaundiced, darker skin. At the same time a Hispanic family who had been waiting all day too had a blond haired blue eyed boy. I was absolutely convinced that there had been a baby swap! It took my mother telling me she had seen Sari the second she was born to convince me that the little Eskimo looking baby was my sister.
_____

I wrote this before my doctors appointment today. I had planned to meet my sister and parents for lunch to celebrate Sari's birthday. Instead, we spent the most of the day in the labor and delivery ward being monitored for high blood pressure! It was a bit of a stroll down memory lane for Mom and I remembering how 20 something years ago she was in labor with Sari. For an hour or so Sari even had hopes of getting a neice on her birthday!

Yes, my heart caught up with my swollen ankles causing quite a bit of concern this morning. But after being monitored for 6 hours, my doctor let me come home tonight. I had to promise to stay off my feet and go back for another bp check on Thursday. He said he was tempted to keep me and induce, but both he and I want to give this baby one more week if possible. So I am at home, on the couch, straining to blog with my wireless keyboard.

No matter what, it looks like the longest we have to wait is another week or so! WOW!!!!!! It feels very real all of a sudden!

Thankfully, we finished the nursery yesterday! (insert halelujah chorus) I"ll post pictures as soon as I can. Our baby shower is Thursday night and Kolby is singing a solo in the church summer musical Friday night. I really don't want to miss either of these events. Please pray for normal blood pressure through the fourth of July weekend for me. But of course I want to do what ever is best for the baby and me so .... I best go pack that hospital bag!!! Stay tuned blog world! :) We might be having a baby this week! :)

10 comments:

Beaner said...

Woo Hoo! I'll be praying for a safe delivery! It's been so much fun being with you every step of the way! I can't wait to see the nursery, and to find out what you've named her!

Anonymous said...

I'm getting excited!

jettybetty said...

I can hardly stand the suspense!
And all that Beaner said, too.

mom23 said...

This is so exciting! I can't wait. You have to do daily updates now, OK!?!

MDM said...

I am getting so curious!!! Praying for you!

Amy S. Grant said...

Wow! It is getting close. Can't wait for the news. Enjoy the shower, and I hope Kolby does great (and that you can attend both events!).

Darren Duvall said...

My son's report to his class regarding his Spring Break this past year, which was spent attending the birth of his new cousin Caden:

"We were at the hospital all day. My aunt had to push for SIX HOURS. It was a good thing we brought snacks."

So, put some snacks in the hospital bag. :)

Susie said...

Wow, girl! It's coming down to the line! How exciting. Prayers going up for you and your family. I hope you make it to your shower and Kolby's musical. : )

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an exciting time! I ran across the picture of Kolby, Hayden , Miranda and all the "Southlake" babies the other day~~I nearly cried, can't believe they are now 8!
I'll be praying for you, Rob and the kids the next couple of weeks!
God bless!
Lex Ann

Mae said...

HOLY MOSES!!!! (I would say c-r-a-p, but I've almost cut that world out of my vocabulary entirely ~ aren't you proud???) I go for two days w/ out checking this and we've almost got a BABY???!?!?!!!!! I'm so excited for you all. Have a blast at the shower tonight and much luck to Kolby on her performance. Seriously, could you BE any busier? :)