Thursday, March 29, 2007

Did she say bye bye?

Last night I think Ella Kate may have uttered her first word, sorta. Rob and I both think she said bye bye. Eight months is a bit young for that, but she has been very verbal since birth. (Don't know where she gets that!) Rhett was off to bed for the fourth time and we were telling EK to wave bye bye. And she did, in the way that only she can then she said it. "Bahi, Bahi" with that little sing-say infliction that perfectly mimicked us.
"Did she just say bye bye?" I asked Rob.
As if she thought I was asking her, she said it again and with the biggest grin on her face waved her chunky little arm madly!
"I think she said it twice." WOW!

Ella Kate has had a great week of independence crawling all over the house. Her favorite break a away place to go is Rhett's room. She will work up a sweat huffing it down the hall as fast as her little hands and knees can scoot . Rhett and Kolby are amazed by her and keep exclaiming "Mom the baby crawled into the ..." We are all having to watch her closely though as she is a little hoover picking up the smallest particle in her path. I have had quite a few chuckles watching EK excitedly race to "beat" me around a corner, then looking back to make sure I am coming, squealing when she sees me, and taking off as fast as she can. She is so proud of herself. What a little mess!Is there anything cuter than the site of a diapered baby bottom scoot down the hall? I had forgotten how sweet a sound a swooshing diaper makes as the little bottom wearing it races on. I'm in love with this baby. Can you tell? :)

Speaking of diapered bottoms... EK had her first bad diaper rash yesterday. It came on quite suddenly. I thought I had unwrapped a package of hamburger meat when I changed her. It was awful! Dr K once told me with Rhett to use a hair dryer (on the lowest, or coolest setting) to dry out diaper rash in between changes. So I put EK on a towel on the floor of our bathroom, and attempted to do what the doc had prescribed.

All was going well when I got a bit distracted and looked away for a minute. Suddenly I realized Ella Kate was spitting like she had something in her mouth. When I turned to see what it was, I realized the hairdryer was blowing some liquid in her face. Looking down I saw a little fountain gurgling up from between her folds and then being blown and splattered from her belly button to her nose! YUCK!!!! She had to have a bath instantly, which only made the diaper rash more damp. I opted for a towel this time! I got so tickled by it all and then she would laugh mimicking me, which made me laugh harder. But all is well that ends well. After using some miracle cream given to us by nurses at my grandmothers nursing home, I am happy to report that EK is all clear again! Gotta love Happy Hiney! (Seriously, that is what they call it!)

Have I over shared? Perhaps. Is getting pee blown in your babies face at all funny? I think I am now "one of those parents" who think that every little thing their baby does is the cutest thing ever. And I love every minute of it! Happy Thursday!

6 comments:

Jacinda said...

That is so funny! We always liked a diaper rash called "Flanders." It looks like mud but works really well.

Jacinda said...

correction: a diaper rash CREAM called "Flanders."

Amy S. Grant said...

You've got me laughin!

And, of course she said "Bye Bye!", no question about it! Enjoy that baby!

Mommy of Boys said...

I swear by "Triple Paste" from the Walgreens pharmacy.

(I snuck over from Elizabeth's blog)

Susan - said...

I do not doubt for a second that little EK is starting to talk.

You did not share too much, except, perhaps that Happy Hiney came from the nursing home. That is an image I could do without. :)

Oh, and I have heard that Butt Paste is really good too.

Susan, who can't log in

Clarissa said...

Well, Julianne was saying bye-bye when she was 7 months old. It sounded like ba-ba, but she waved as she did it either when we walked away from someone or they walked away from us, so there was no doubt what she meant. Therefore I know it can be done. None of my other kids did it until much later, to my knowledge. If they did, I was too busy with some other kid to notice. Poor babies.