Sunday, March 11, 2007

Spring Break & A Good Day

This is our first day of Spring Break and the kids and I are being SOOOO lazy!

It was a good idea to have Spring Break the week after the time change. I don't know if it was on purpose, but it sure is going to make the day light savings time transition easier on us! Not sure what all we will do this week, but does it really matter as long as we get to sleep late?! :)

Thank you for all the support after my very bad day last Friday. Sometimes we just have those days. It is nice to have people there to pray for us and remind us that a bad day is just that, a bad day. If you didn't read the comments over the weekend let me assure you I was feeling much better by Saturday. In fact Saturday was a good day, a very good day.

About two years ago I shared with blog world that we had recently learned that Kolby had a reading disorder, probably dyslexia. Since then she has spent 9 weeks of the last two summers in a morning reading camp at Baylor. I have also pulled Kolby out of school twice a week for two hours of tutoring and language therapy at Baylor for the last year and a half. She ended tutoring at Baylor this past semester because I felt she needed to just have a normal school week in light of the TAKS and TAKS preparations taking place in school. And really we just needed a break.

Well, Kolby took the thirds grade reading TAKS a few weeks ago with out any dyslexia accommodations. I strongly felt she needed to just take the regular TAKS like everyone else, which was sort of a gamble. In Texas you must pass this test to go on to fourth grade. It is all reading... basic understanding, applying knowledge of literary elements, analyzing strategies and critical thinking. I was nervous for her, but felt she would at least pass. At least that is what we were praying for! The test came and went and Kolby felt good about it.

Just last week Kolby found out at school that she did indeed pass. Based on the very limited information her teacher was given, we thought Kolby did pretty well on the test. We were so proud and happy. Then Saturday we got a letter in the mail that told us exactly what Kolby's score was.

I in no way want to brag, but Kolby did extremely well. So well in fact that tears streaked down my cheeks as I read the report. Two years ago I never thought I would read a report like that. Never! I felt like one of those parents in the Sylvan commercials and half expected to hear the Sylvan music play as I shouted for Rob and Kolby to come see the great news! WOW! What a blessing! My little girl really is going to be OK!!!

Kolby will always have to work hard, maybe harder than most, but she can achieve great things. This test score brought that home in a way that nothing else has. Can I ever say thank you enough to God for sending us to Baylor? And for giving Kolby incredible teachers and tutors both at Baylor and in school? Can I ever thank those teachers enough? How do I even begin to tell them what their influence has meant to Kolby and to us? And how much it will mean for years to come? There are no words.
So you could say Saturday was a good day, a very good day!

And that is the wonderful crazy thing about this life. One day can be so bad that you can't breath for the weight of your heart being crushed, and the next day can be so good that your heart and spirit soar to heights words can not capture! Usually my life is more even keeled, not so low and so high so suddenly. But I feel God was speaking to me in the valley and on the summit. I am grateful now for both. God is like that you know, present and good during the good and bad. I feel very blessed. And, I know if I could ask each of you, you would say the same. What an Awesome God we serve!

Happy Spring Break!

9 comments:

SG said...

OK, I'll say it in the comments so it doesn't seem so braggy... Kolby made a perfect score on the TAKS. 100%! Pretty good for a little dyslexic girl! :)

mom23 said...

Brag away proud Mama! I am so proud of that girl!! I just love your blog.

jettybetty said...

WOW--that is incredible--I am so happy for Kolby!!!

Hope you have a fun spring break!

MDM said...

Wow!! You can brag all you want and you should. Yeah for Kolby..what a way to boost the self-esteem!

Jacinda said...

Oh my goodness! Brag all you want! I literally gasped when I read that she made 100%. That is simply amazing and incredible and wonderful and I'd be shouting it from the rooftops! I am sooooo proud of her-and I don't even know her!

Seriously, I think it is just so great and I APPLAUD you as her mom for recognizing that she needed help and getting it for her and then letting her take the test unassisted when you felt she was ready.

Send the teachers a Hallmark card and then have them make a commercial about it! That'd be 1 way to show them your appreciation. I just love those Hallmark commercials!

Way to go, Kolby!!!!

Susan - said...

100%?! You did not tell me that. That is fantastic. Can I be proud of her too? Tell her I said congratulations, all her hard work has paid off.

Now speaking of scheduling, I love it that you have SB the week after the time change. It makes SO much more sense than what happened here. Our kids are taking their big standardized tests this week. Yes, right after the time change. What genius scheduled that?

Enjoyed talking to you last night!

Beaner said...

OK - this WAS just like a Sylvan commercial - and I'm crying just as much as if I've watched one of them!!

Congrats to Kolby! Keep celebrating!

Amy S. Grant said...

Wow! What an amazing answer to prayers (and lots of hard work)! A 100!! We're proud of you Kolby, and mom too!

And I feel a very similar indebtedness to the teachers who have invested so much into our kids. There is no way to pay them back for what they are doing. I am so thankful for inspiring teachers.

Enjoy your Spring Break this week!

SG said...

Kolby is basking in the kudos we have all heaped on her and is very grateful. Just last night she asked if we could go over division flash cards as the Math TAKS is coming up next month. "Now that I made 100 on the reading part, my teacher is going to want me to make 100 on the math!":) Again, passing is good enough for me, but I want her to do her best... So I have a date with a 9 year old and a pile of flashcards every night between now and April 17th. (I don't think you have to pass this one for promotion to 4th grade)