Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wii had a great Father's Day/ Teeth and Bird Update

Revised with pictures and a bird update!
Yes! We have joined the rest of the Wii crazed nation. Even though I was sure Santa was going to bring a Wii next Christmas, Rob beat him to it. Last Sunday (week before Father's Day) Rob found a Wii at the regular price in stock at our Toys-R-Us and couldn't pass it up! He said to consider it an early Father's Day present. So we did. The kids are pleased as punch! I have to admit it was probably much better to get the Wii now instead of at Christmas. It gives the kids something fun to do indoors when it is 102 outside with 80% humidity as it was this week. And it really is fun!

Our actual Father's Day was pretty uneventful. Last Saturday I woke up bright ans early to take Kolby into the doctor... our first Saturday doctor's visit ever for the kids. She had a horrible night Friday. Her left ear was throbbing and she was so dizzy she could barely walk. Every time she stood up she thought she would puke...luckily she never did. None of us were surprised to find out she had a really bad middle to inner ear infection. She has been on antibiotics ever since and is still not 100%. Kolby has never had an ear infection before (that I remember).

Actually my kids are not prone to ear infections. Rhett has never had one (that I remember). However, Ella Kate had her first at Easter and has had two since then. She is just now finishing up antibiotics for the last one. What is it with ears around here?

After getting Kolby settled with her medicine I took myself to the doctor. They thought it was strep but it wasn't. The doctor said it was some sort of throat infection, loaded me up with samples and sent me on my way. That's my kind of doctor!

So we didn't do much the rest of the weekend. Applebees take out catered our Father's Day meal with my parents. Rob got a shirt and an Indiana Jones Lego Game for the Wii ( He's not the only parent who can buy fun stuff!: ) We gave my Dad a shredder. It's what he wanted. My Dad is by far the hardest person to buy for... But he loved his shredder!:)

Sari came home Monday and I took the big kids to the dentist. Poor Rhett was fine EXCEPT that his 6 year molars that are not even all the way in yet did not calcify properly. He has no enamel on 40% of those 4 teeth. So through no fault of his, he had four "cavities" that will all need to be filled and sealed. It's just not fair for teeth to come n with cavities! The Dentist explained that it was nothing we did wrong. It's a developmental delay. And while no one can be sure what caused it, it might be linked to the trouble Rhett had at birth or the RSV like virus that put him in the hospital at three months. We are just praying these are the only permanent teeth that will come in this way! $700 will fix the problem for now. (OUCH!) Rhett will have to have these teeth sealed from time to time through out his life. Kolby didn't have any cavities (yay!) but we do need to get her to an orthodontist soon. (booo!) The reason I dread dentist appointments has nothing to do with pain in the mouth, and everything to do with pain in the pocketbook!

Except for MDO, baseball practice, a long over-do trip to the grocery store, and a few meetings, we have stayed close to home this week. I have loved it! But it won't last long as my kids have some big plans. I'm taking advantage of this "down" week and preparing to launch into all the activities ahead!

I'll leave you with some summer shots of the kids enjoying the water slide... Yes! It lived to see another summer!




Oh and I almost forgot... I have a baby bird update.
I took this picture on June 2nd.

This last picture was taken on June 13th.

Seconds after this picture was taken, one of the baby birds flew across the yard and perched on the roof of the fort. I feared it was my fault for getting too close. I worried all night about the baby bird when he didn't come back to the nest. The next day I thought I found him in the grass next to the fort. After quite an ordeal I safely had him and put him in the nest with his sister. But, they didn't act to happy too see each other and the one I found looked smaller than the one in the nest. I thought that was odd. A few hours later another baby bird flew up to the tree but couldn't fit in the nest! It sat in the base of the fake ficus tree. After looking around I soon saw another mother bird watching over one baby bird in a nest in a near by tree. These birds usually have two eggs/babies at a time. Evidently I had found the wrong baby bird and put it in the wrong nest! Oh the guilt I felt!!! Who knew there were two sets of Mourning dove babies in our yard!?!?!

Well that afternoon all three babies flew away. This time only one came back. Another baby bird stayed close by but didn't try to enter the nest. Two days later the lone nesting baby bird flew away. I never checked to see what happened to that third baby bird (the one I found and put in the wrong nest) because I could not let myself get attached to another set of baby birds. I have experienced enough baby bird guilt and worry to last all summer!

However, both of our original baby birds still come and sit on the porch from time to time. Neither have flown back into the nest, except for for a few minutes during a rain storm. I don't know if it was our increased backyard activities or the trauma of having a strange bird put in their nest that scared them off. Or maybe it was just time. No matter what the reason, I am pretty sure that our baby birds have officially flown the coop! We still see them on the roof or in the back yard every day. They are getting so big that soon we won't be able to tell if they are our baby birds or not. They grow up so fast!

Now I can finally get rid of that fake ficus tree! :) Happy summer!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Gotta love the Wii. I don't know who plays it more around here the kids or adults! Have fun!!!!

Angela said...

Hey Steph - Just FWI, Ally keeps getting similar ear infections and it is swimmer's ear. I only knew because of scuba diving so much as a kid and having my share of outer and middle ear infections. If you think it might be this you can help prevent it with swimmer's ear - less than $2 at Walmart but you have to be super vigilant about it! Hope this helps!