Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Corney but true!

Anninversaries are sort of the opposites of birthdays...the more you have the better! Yesterday Kolby and I watched our wedding video. It is something I have done every anniversary and now Kolby loves to watch with me. She made me promise I would wait until she was home from school to start my "Wedding Movie". (Rob watches it with me sometimes, but he has this job thing that he does all day.)

Anyway, I am amazed how every year those people look younger and younger! Sometimes I wish I could go back in time as a guest at our wedding reception and warn that young couple about some of the pitfalls they would encounter. I wish I could warn the groom to stay away from AXA (long story) and that bride to stay away from Blue Bell when she's pregnant! But I know those two pretty well, and I doubt they would have listened. My mother-in -law congratulated us on surviving the 7th year itch....Is that why my skin has been so prickly lately?! :) Glad to know that's over!

I guess I could make a zillion random anniversary observations but this is the one that matters most. I am married to an incredible guy! Really. I don't have words to properly describe my husband. Rob is fun, hard working, sweet natured, compassionate, centered, driven, humble and very, very giving. If I got what I deserved in life, I would have married someone far more self-centered and flawed. I am amazed at the strength of Rob's love for me for I know at times it is completely undeserved. Still his love is steady and constant.

Last Sunday Rob was leading communion thoughts and I found myself thinking "WOW! I am married to him!" Rob inspires me to want to do and be better with his self discipline and dependability. I am the creative type that always has ten irons in the fire, not to mention five projects spread across our bedroom. This should drive Rob's military raised personality nuts, but he rarely says anything. He is very patient, understanding and tolerant. Rob is a great guy in just about every way that comes to mind. In case you are reading this Honey, know that I know how blessed I am to be your wife. I love being Mrs Rob Grosz!!! Hugable Grace, Thank you God!

For all the rest of you who don't know us, I want you to understand that Rob and I are not an "Eddy Bauer" couple...That is our lives don't always look like they belong in a catalogue. I know and love many people who truly are like that, but that is not us. We in no way live in picture perfect circumstances. Our cars are old, our carpet is stained, and our garage is plain scary. Somedays we are lazy. Most days we take on too much and are exhausted. There is always a mile long list of things we need to do around our house. There are dishes in the sink more times than not. The weeds in the flower beds thrive before we get around to plucking them out. Our kids whine, our dog often stinks and we have been known to have some "spirited" discussions at inappropriate times. We do not have it all together. We are the first to admit we have made some bad choices and not always dealt with things the way we should.

Ken and Barbie we are not.(Odvious to all who know us.) BUT we love each other deeply. We want and strive to do and be better and we attempt to become what God our Father wants us to be. There is a room in the Kingdom for Ken and Barbie but there is also a room for Rob and Stephanie... Thank goodness God's grace comes in "one size fits all kinds".

Happy September everyone!

3 comments:

Susan - said...

That was beautiful Stephanie. You and Rob are lucky to have each other.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Dear Ken and Barbie-
I can't wait to come see you next week. It's going to be so much fun to hang at your place for a night.
Prince Charming

SG said...

Dear PC,
We are so excited you are coming! Wish it could work out so you could bring Cinderella and the little princesses-HOW FUN THAT WOULD BE!- But we are very honored to welcome YOU to our humble abode! Just step over the stains and avoid the stinky dog!:)
K&B