Saturday, September 11, 2004

I need a hero

From the CREAMED CORN dashboard drafts......

Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where’s the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds?
Isn’t there a white knight
upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and I turn
and I dream of what I need
Chorus: I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the end of the night
He’s gotta be strong
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
Somewhere after midnight
In my wildest fantasy
Somewhere just beyond my reach
There’s someone reaching back for me
Racing on the thunder and rising with the heat
It’s gonna take a superman to sweep me off my feet
Chorus
Up Where the mountains meet the heavens above
Out where the lightning splits the sea
I would swear that there’s someone somewhere watching me
Through the wind and the chill and the rain
And the storm and the flood
I can feel his approach
Like a fire in my blood
Chorus

Thank you Shrek 2 for bringing this song by Bonnie Tyler back from the cassette tape graveyards of the 80's and onto the play list of my mind. This has to be one of my favorite songs. I discovered today it is oh-so good to mop the kitchen to. I think I sang it over and over for an hour. Kolby is amazed at her Mommy...Well dumbfounded anyway. Although I think it was in the movie Footloose, I have to say it was actually Days of Our Lives that made me love this song.

It was the summer of 1984. (Oh my goodness was that really 20 years ago?) The long haired, leather jacket wearing, rebel-with-a-cause Bo Brady was about to rescue/kidnap the love of his life, the beautiful, rich and blackmailed Hope Williams from the church where she was about to be forced to marry the despicable Larry Welch. To get some good "get away time", Bo leaves his boss, the grungy cigar chomping flat foot, Howie Hopstedder behind in a thickly veiled wedding gown to walk down the aisle in Hope's place.

With all the pomp and circumstance of a royal wedding, Hope/Howie walks the asile to the front of the church. The snake-like Larry Welch's smug grin is suddenly wiped off his face as he lifts the veil to find Howie chewing on a cigar "Pucker up Sweetheart!" Bonnie Tyler's song screams I NEED A HERO and the viewers realize Bo has saved the day as the camera breaks away to Bo and Hope screaming down the road on his Harley, Hope still in her gown. Hope tosses her veil as she wraps her arms around her hero and the credits roll. (for it was a Friday) Bonnie Tyler serenades us to the commercial break. And that was THE DAYS EPISODE of my life ....

That had to be one of the greatest moments in the history of Daytime drama. I had it on VHS tape for many years ...until my sister recorded the Smurfs over it!!! I have almost forgiven her. My cousin Ashley and I would love to get our hands on that episode. If any of you know how we could, feel free to comment. We acted out Days and dreamed of Hope and Bo all the time!

I hear The Brady's are still together and just as tormented as ever, bless their hearts! Last count, I think both had died and come back two or three times each. True soap opera drama. (I think I was 8 before I learned that dead people could not come back because of "the story".)
I'm not a Days watcher any more but, oh what memories!

I think I wrote this a few weeks ago but decided it was a good weekend blog. Happy Saturday!

4 comments:

Mae said...

I will never forget the day that Bo and Hope got married (for the first time, anyway!)! D.O.O.L. came on right before my nap time, and that Friday Momma let me stay up to watch the WHOLE ENTIRE SHOW... I usually fell asleep right at half time. It was a great day of boding... I was all of 4 years old... Great memories! :)
I mostly remember "I Need A Hero" from Footlose. You know, when Ren gets all upset b/c Ariel's Daddy won't let them have the dance and he's in the middle of all those rail road tracks drinking a beer, letting off steam and showing us his moves. Great stuff that came out of the 80's ~ minus feathered hair and neon lycra, and maybe Minudo.

Donna G said...

In my car fever restless sleep last night, I sang to myself "I need a Hero" over and over. I had read your post right before going to bed. Scary that you can impact people you don't even know with your words.... Maybe that is a deeper thought. I am probably going to sing it again tonight.......

Beaner said...

Why just watch soap operas when you can interact with "real-life" soap operas on Blogs!!!! I am finding out so much about you & Brandon Scott Thomas & I read other friends of yours & his too. It's like being a friend on the outside - although at times I feel like a Peeping Tom! I have gone to the Zoe Conference once last year & will be returning again this year too. I first got hooked into BST's blogs & then found yours. As a mom of 2 I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts!!! Anyway, just thought I'd write to let you know that it seems like us soap opera lover's of the past have now created a world of our own (minus the aliens & evil twins!!!) And FYI - I have great memories of being at my Grandma's house while her "story" was on. It was The Young & the Restless. Later I turned to All My Children & I remember my college roomie & I watching that in our dorm room every day. I think she even planned her classes around that! It's funny what I've forgotten about my life & some of the memories that start flooding back when I Blog. On a side note - are there any good names for a Blog Voyeur? Just wondering if I'm missing out on some Blog Lingo or secret Blog Language.

SG said...

DJG~ So sorry for the all night hero-sing-a-thon! I too can not get this song off my brain.
Beaner~ Welcome aboard! We moms have to stick together and vent our emotions. Blogging is great for that! AND I actually scheduled my Freshman MWF classes so I could see DAYS but funny thing is I seldom ever watched it! I guess you are right we dump the tube drama for our own! Why di all grandmothers call their soaps "the Story"? How cute is that! I think I'm going to start calling Alias "the Story"...nah it just doesn't fit! Toodles!