Thursday, September 09, 2004

Old friends, mexican food, laughter and blogging

Thursday already! Wow what a fast week this has been. It has been a fun week, but very busy. I have actually blogged a few times but have been interrupted or had to run. I currently have several drafts in the ole dashboard! After Rhett's party Sunday I will finish them.

I had no problem however finishing lunch today with Brandon and Martha Kate at Ninfas...Tacos Al Carbon YUM! Brandon and MK were great friends of mine and of eachother at ACU. Martha Kate and I were housemates and now go to church together. She is one of my closest friends. I never tire of being around MK! Brandon and Martha Kate were in Reflections together and were the best of friends. Both are so dramatic, funny, and talented. They are true performers. Having lunch with the two of them was such a treat. "Fun" just doesn't do this lunch justice. I burst out laughing a few minutes ago thinking of some of the stories told at lunch today. My kids think I'm nuts! :)

Brandon is an exceptionally "real" person. I truly loved getting to see him, and I mean literally see him. Even though I kind of feel caught up on the day to day details of his life because of this incredible thing we call blogging, it was nice to hear his voice say his words and see the expression on his face. But I don't want to down play blogging, because I have grown very fond of this medium!

I am convinced that one of the best WMD's in Satan arsenal is isolation. He wants Christians to focus on their problems and feel alone and unworthy. When he keeps us away from each other, from talking and discovering we are all in this struggle together, he prevents us from doing the work of our Father. Blogging has become one of my favorite defenses against this. Reading the thoughts, struggles, and joys of others lets me see that I am not alone in my journey in Gods Kingdom.

Many think that the internet has isolated our culture and I am sure on many levels that is true. However, through blogging, we are more connected. For example...Mike Cope couldn't sit down and have coffee with 500 people everyday and get anything else accomplished. He can however blog and 500 of us can read and discuss the blog as we take our coffee breaks. Thus we feel more connected to him and to eachother. These are interesting and challenging times in our churches. I am glad we have this tool of blogging to connect and get through it together.

Happy blogging ... I have skinny chicken enchiladas to make! Double Mexican food day...gotta love it! :)

4 comments:

Mae said...

I L-O-V-E love getting together w/ old friends. There is a group of about 10 of us that have been together since Kindergarten or even pre-school(and one that slipped in during middle school). It takes all of about 5 1/2 seconds for us to get back into elementary school mode! Glad y'all had a fun lunch. I wholeheartedly agree about the bloggin' w/ fellow Christians ~ it has added SO much to my walk w/ Him. :)

Donna G said...

I love the thought of isolation being a WMD of Satan. And you are so right. When we think we are in anything by ourselves we get overwhelmed. God didn't make us to "fly solo". What a great ride this blogging thing is.

Susan - said...

There is just something special about "old" friends, isn't there? There are people throughout your life that know a part of you that the next group does not. It is good to have all these people (new and old friends)in your life. I am so glad you got to have that visit with some of your old friends.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Steph-
YES! There IS something special about old friends. I think having lunch with you two made my entire trip. I think I am still hoarse from it. Mercy! MK--what a trip! Thank you for the care package for the trip-I am drinking the Mocha Frapp right now! You rock! Thanks for openly sharing over lunch yesterday. We are blessed to have community and be siblings in Christ. Hug Rob and the fam for me.
BST