Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Day 3 of the Summer Schedule

So far so good! We may not get everything in everyday, but because we have a plan we are making good use of our time and becoming more balanced. I think the kids would just sit at home and watch TV all day if I didn't have a plan. Actually, we have spent a little more time in front of the TV and cleaning up than I like, but overall it has been a great start to our summer.

Rhett and Kolby had a blast at Mother's Day Out at church yesterday. Rhett goes to a different MDO during the school year, but I love that he is getting to spend the summer with his church buds! He especially enjoyed being around his cousin Scarlett. Yes, Rhett and Scarlett and no, we don't have a Gone With The Wind thing. :)

Kolby experienced her first sunburn this week. "I forgot my Sun Scream!" she said as I picked her up after swimming at MDO. Kolby is seven years old and I still can't bring my self to tell her that it is called sun SCREEN not scream. We also eat ice-scream. I know one day she'll find out she has been saying it wrong and stop, but I'm not going to be the one who tells her! She is growing up so fast that I relish those cute pronunciations left over from her toddler days.

Speaking of growing up, Kolby has been getting several phone calls a day from school friends. WHAT? Is that normal for seven year olds? I don't like it one bit, but I can't just hang up on her little friends. After much thought I told Kolby she can talk on the phone for seven minutes (a minute per year) once or twice a day. She was thrilled with that and has not asked to make calls herself yet. I know that is coming. Am I right that 7 is a little to young to be chatting with or calling friends on the phone? Tell me blog world...Is this normal?

Back to the mundane... Today we went to the library for the Hansel & Gretel Puppet Show. We were pleasantly surprised to see some cousins, lots of church friends, and a few neighbors there. It was a cute show though the little library reading room was packed! Kids everywhere! Afterwards, we headed to Burger King for lunch as promised because we are still trying to collect the entire set of Burger King Star Wars toys! (We are on a mission to find Darth Vader, R2D2, and two or three others.) There were lots of church friends there too. I felt as if we had a full day by noon!

This afternoon Kolby had her third 3-hour reading evaluation. She has been a trooper but, she is glad it is over. My Mom kept Rhett while I went to church to work on VBS decorations. For the first time in years I am not teaching, just helping decorate. I feel a little guilty about that. This years VBS is an African Safari theme so I volunteered Rob to make balloon animals during the Safari Celebration the last night. Rob is such a kid at heart that he loves this sort of thing and it eased my "not teaching guilt" a bit. VBS is a wonderful program... Next year I will get back on board and do more.

Not much to report from Hewitt these days. Off to dinner at church and more VBS decorating. We are loving summer! Hope all of you are too!

4 comments:

Donna G said...

I love the Rhett and Scarlett thing. It reminds me of the time I was calling all of the kids to the table at my moms and I said "Derek, Diana, Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus, get to the table." It was good for a laugh.(Mary & Joseph being the in-laws)

Don't worry about the short phone calls, what is hard to take is when the girls start calling Rhett..Frankly my dear, that is what will worry you!

Mae said...

Two things (for now anyway, I reserve the right to change my mind w/ no clear forewarning)...

I didn't know that those things we wear on our feet were "tennis shoes" until I was in the third grade. They had always been "tenny shoes" I was quite perklumpt... Nor did I realize until that same year that "ruint" was actually ruined and "warsh" didn't have an r. SO MUCH STRESS OVER MISPRONOUNCING THESE EVER IMPORTANT WORDS!!!

My niece, Shelby, has been getting calls for a while now (probably a year or two). Luckily only one boy calls for homework assistance. But it is so funny to hear what 2nd and 3rd graders have to talk about on the phone!

Clarissa said...

Joey and Julianne both talk on the phone ... it's fine with me, just not all day. I'm glad they have friends.

SG said...

Good point Clarissa, my non-blogging blog friend!
I guess I should just be glad that little girls want to call Kolby and not sweat it too much...little boys however are a totally different story!