Monday, June 20, 2005

This and That

(This post will be a bit long because I'm catching up from last week and won't be blogging again until Thursday!) PICTURES BELOW!!!

It's the third week of summer and we are loving it! This is the first summer both my kids sleep late...Therefore we have been sleeping in almost every morning. I could get used to waking at 8:30 all the time! But I feel guilty sleeping in when Rob gets up and heads out at 7:30. (after throwing papers from 3-5 AM every morning might I add!) So, starting tomorrow, I am setting the alarm for 7:45 ! Big sacrifice, I know! :) I have never been a morning person!

Last week was our VBS. The kids loved it. Our children's ministers, Jan and Dana, do a great job every year. This year was no exception! The decorations in the rooms and halls were amazing! And boy, do they know how to carry out a theme! They even had a live Zebra the last night at the Safari Party! As I mentioned before, I volunteered Rob to tie balloon animals during that last night. My plan was to help him set up and then go around to all the different stations with the kids. Our children's ministry intern Ashley was also helping.

At the beginning there was such a rush that I sat down to tie a few balloons to help get started. Two hours later, I was still sitting there twisting balloons. My sister Sari, who came to watch the kids, was even tying balloons with us. There were still kids wanting more when we quit at 9 PM. Rob and I had lots of fun doing the animals even though we were sweaty and had very sore fingers! Not sure it fit with the animal theme, but I completely mastered making a balloon light saber (sword) by the end of the night. I can do a decent giraffe, flower, and zebra too! Rob is more advanced and can do lions, cats, monkeys, alligators, and parrots. Kolby has even learned to make a giraffe and loves to "practice." I think we might start hiring out! :)

Other big things that happened last week... Both kids got their summer hair cuts. Rhett is just a tad longer than a buzz so his little head doesn't get sun burned. Kolby, who was growing her hair out, had a total change of heart when she got in Ms. Debbie's chair. She told Debbie she wanted her hair above her ears! Debbie and I talked Kolby into just cutting it chin length for now. It looks so cute and is really easy to do. Kolby absolutely loves getting her hair cut! She also wanted to get her nails done. Have I created a monster? :)

Last week I met with the very sweet lady who has evaluated Kolby for dyslexia over the last few weeks. Kolby tests out to be a very smart girl! She also, as we know, is reading way below where she should be based on her intelligence. Is it dyslexia? I am learning that dyslexia is not just reversing letters. These days dyslexia covers a wide variety of reading disorders. Kolby has a reading disorder. She is considered "at risk". We are just not sure that the "dyslexia" label, and all that goes with it, fits Kolby.

Kolby did qualify for the Scottish Rite's Dyslexia reading camp at Baylor this summer. We are waiting for a call to hear that Kolby has made it off the waiting list and into Camp Success. The camp starts July 5th. I was told they would start calling this week. Kolby is very close to getting in from what I have been told. God is probably tired of hearing me pray that this camp works out for Kolby, but I so hope it does!! From what the people at Baylor tell me, Kolby is an ideal candidate for this camp. They think it would give her the reading confidence boost and skills she so desperately needs. We just have to make it off the waiting list! If this doesn't work out, we have other options, but they are not as good and are very, very expensive. Any prayers on our behalf towards this matter would be greatly appreciated!

We ended the week, or started this one, with a great Fathers Day! Rhett took Rob golfing last Friday for an early Fathers day gift. I was worried about Rhett in the heat as he just hasn't been the same since having shigella a few weeks ago. But, he loved every minute of his 18 holes with Dad! It amazes me that Rhett can go golfing at the tender age of three. He watches the Golf channel and talks about "Tiger and Phil" like they are his playmates, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised! Sunday we ate lunch out with my family (just Mom, Dad & Sari) then did presents and ice cream at my parent's house afterwards. It was our first homemade ice cream of the summer! Strawberry sherbert! YUM! It was a quiet, restful, Fathers day!

Since today is "Monday Movie Day" we are gearing up to see Rookie of the Year or The Pacifier. The kids can't wait for Mother's Day Out tomorrow, especially Kolby! She is packing her bag as I type. Wednesday and Thursday we are going to Rusk, Texas with my parents to ride an antique steam engine in the State park. Not sure how this will go, but the kids are really excited!

Have a great week blog world!

P.S. GO BAYLOR! The Baylor Baseball team is in Omaha, Nebraska at the college World Series! They lost the first game but still have a chance to come back! GOOOOOO BBBEEEAAARRRSSS! ( I am slowly becoming a Baylor-ite!)

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Sounds like a fun busy start to your summer!!

Susan - said...

What the heck is shagella?

Saying a little prayer for Kolby to get off that waiting list!

Can't wait to see you all.

SG said...

Big shock here~I spelled it wrong earlier. Shigella is just a nasty bacteria that causes major intestional output problems, to put it nicely. Rhett got it from a little friend and it decided to rear it's ugly head when we were in the water park at Sea World! LOVELY! He has had a round of antibiotics but still doesn't have much appetite, and says his tummy hurts fron time to time.