Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Have you hugged a VBS worker lately?

Now I know how the other half lives. For the last two years VBS has been a major event in our lives. I taught 5 and under Bible and went to extravagant lengths to decorate my room. In the past two VBS's I spent many nights at church planning and decorating, many times until 2 or 3 AM. Why so late? It is hard to get much done with Kolby and Rhett in tow, so I would wait until they were in bed and then go work.

Problem was that I was completely worn out by VBS week. I struggled to teach and come up with small illustrations and activities every night. It was exhausting! AND no, I didn't have to go all out on decorations, but I am not good at doing things on a small scale. I just couldn't do it! Even when I thought I was keeping it simple, it was far from simple!

This year I had previously committed to a series of meetings that were scheduled for some of the VBS nights. I volunteered only to decorate this year. As I said in prior posts, I feel a little guilty about that. Although I spent large chunks of time decorating last week, this week Rob and I are free until Thursday night when we will help with the big finale. IT IS SO NICE! Last night we dropped our kids off and went to dinner! Dinner! By our selves! And then we shopped around for a while and just talked. For two hours we were completely kid free! That never happens. As much as I love my kids, it is really good to get a break.

Now I know why parents were so happy when they picked their children up in years past. I wonder if I looked as hot, tired, and frazzled as some of the VBS workers did when I picked the kids up last night? Do they know what a wonderful thing they are doing, not only for the kids, but for many parents? I hope they do! I have a whole new appreciation for VBS.

On top of the free time, I know my kids truly enjoy VBS. This is Rhett's first year. We were afraid he might not go it alone to well because he has had some separation issues in the past, but he is doing great! It is so sweet to hear him talk about the lesson, craft and snack each night on the way home. This is Kolby's first year with the big kids upstairs. She loves to compare what she did with what her brother did. My kids love going to anything at church.

Next year I pledge to be more involved again. I will go back into the trenches. Even if I don't teach, I will do more for those who are teaching. For now however, I am going to enjoy two more nights of freedom! Maybe I will find a way to express my appreciation to all those who are working so hard to make this a very special week for everyone.

Thank you Lord for VBS!

1 comments:

Donna G said...

Thanks for the reminder. It is good to see it from both sides.