Friday, October 14, 2005

Firsts and Lasts

I was tagged by Elizabeth. This one took some time, but dusting off old memories is always fun. I have not thought about some of this stuff in years. Some things are still so embarrassing even 20 + years later! I sort of wish I could block out those gawky awkward Jr High days forever! :) Besides no one reads my blog Friday - Sunday so I think I am safe! Here we go...

First Memory:
Having x-rays done before my first kidney surgery...I was 2 1/2. The tech told me they were going to take a picture of my kidneys with a special camera. I asked if it would be color or black & white...Don't know why. My mother off-handedly remarked that for what we were paying they should have been in full color. Now I realize she was just being flippant, but then I thought she was serious and felt a real sense of injustice and cried and cried when they showed us the black and white pictures of my kidneys that looked like nothing I was expecting. Don't know why that stuck with me!

First Kiss: I still blush when I think about it...it was a little tragic. My first kiss was from a boy who will remain nameless (but you know who you are) who kissed me in the wardrobe room of the choir department during study hall in the Spring of 9th grade. (or was it 8th?) By the time I got to Algebra, I was still blushing, but he had gotten back with his old girlfriend during English. I was crushed and so upset that I went to the nurse's office with a lowgrade fever and went home for the rest of the day! In the end this creep of a guy blossomed into one of my good friends and was even in our wedding!

First Concert:I'm not sure which came first but I think it was either a George Strait concert in San Angelo or an Amy Grant concert in Abliene that I attended with my youth group.

First Crush: Aaron Mullins in the 4th grade. He went to our church and my elementary and was a year older than me. He stayed at his grandparents house just five doors down from us in the summers because his Mom worked. I bet I rode my bike by that house a 1000 times that summer hoping to "bump into Aaron!" Nothing ever came of it and I moved on to someone else by the end of the summer. Aaron's family moved to Longview, Texas a year or two later and I have no idea what ever became of him.

First Love:Again he (or they) shall remain nameless. I'm not sure if it is the guy from the first kiss nightmare story from above or a certain camo wearing, jeep driving, life-guarding, longhorn who broke my heart in High School. But I am happy to say I consider them both great friends now and... I know for a fact that both have been known to read this blog! :)

First lust: Depending on how far back we go, it is a three way tie between Donny Osmond, Dean Butler ( the guy who played Almonzo Wilder on Little House on the Prairie), and Peter Reckell (who plays Bo Brady on Days of our Lives.)

First thing you think in the morning: What is today and are we late for anything?

First book you remember loving: Read to me ~ Harriet Hedgehog. Read for myself ~ Little House on the Prairie and the whole series.

First pet: Tinkerbell and Frisky, brother and sister kittens we adopted from a brood of wild kittens that roamed my grandmother's back yard in Colorado City...it was a really big, big backyard!

First question you'll ask in Heaven: For the first time in my existance, I think I will be speechless!

First thing you think of when you hear the word vacation:Hotel room where someone else makes the bed!

First best friend: Sabra Blue, 2nd grade.

Last time you dressed up: Church last Sunday.

Last thing you ate: Blueberries and yogurt mixed with kashi lean smart cereal.

Last CD you bought: A 70's collection CD for a party.

Last time you cried:The other day when I drove by a my neighbor's house who lost her husband a few weeks ago and realized she was home alone for the first time since it happened...OK tearing up right now!

Last time you told someone you loved them:This morning when Rob and Kolby went to work/school and Rhett came in to snuggle with me!

Last really fun thing you did: Taking the kids to Kolby's school carnival last Saturday.

Last thing you watched on TV: ER and the news last night.

Last Halloween costume:Last year, Rob and I dressed up like shrubs with leaves and branches and all. Rob added a tie and sprayed a little grey in his hair. I added a scarf, pearls, and turned my hair under. Last we added a name tags that said George and Laura...We were George and Laura Bush! This year we will all be in Star Wars attire!

Last Concert attended:Amy Grant/Vince Gill in January.

4 comments:

Donna G said...

I did mine this afternoon for the same reason...no one will read it!!

We liked the same books- Laura Ingalls Wilder!

Have a great weekend!

Deana Nall said...

Julia wants to be R2-D2 for Halloween. We're going to try making her costume. Any ideas?

SG said...

Deana~ I would go with a bottomed out trash can painted white and attached with suspenders. You can paint all the buttons and stuff on there too. For the dome I might try to find a cheap salad bowl or maybe just make a fun foam 1 dimensional face cut out dome. Fum foam is my answer to most costume issues...or felt. You could make a felt wrap around body thing and just wear white leggings and a long sleeve shirt. Personally I always go with buycostume.com because I have found making a costume much more expensive in the long run! However I just checked and did not see any r2 costumes! Good luck and post pictures!

Susan - said...

I was a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan too!