Sunday, October 30, 2005

Pray

My sister Sari goes to UBC (University Baptist Church) here in Waco. Some of you may have heard of it because it is home to the David Crowder Band. This morning in front of a packed Baylor Homecoming crowd, their preacher Kyle Lake baptized someone, reached for a microphone, and was electrocuted. He died minutes later on the way to the hospital. His wife Jenn was there. His 3 year old twin boys and 5 year old daughter were in the nursery. The church is in shock. The whole town is in shock. Please Pray for the Lake family, the UBC family and all who are hurting right now over this horrible accident.


UPDATE Midnight:
The saddness is so thick around here that it is just suffocating. This is a big weekend in Waco with Baylor Homecoming and Halloween..but all the excitment died today with Kyle Lake. It feels like a giant wet blanket has been thrown over the whole city and noone can move.

My sister went with her church family tonight to talk and hug and remember. She said it was awful and good all at the same time. They explained exactly what happened. Evidently Kyle grabbed a microphone, lost his footing, and fell back into the water. The water covered him past the waders to his shoulders. He was able to say "I need some help guys" but that was it.

Kyle had many, many friends. Some of his best ones are in the David Crowder Band who went "on with the show" and played to a sold out crowd in Fl tonight. They are jetting home in the morning. All are devistated as you can imagine... and their wives want them home. My sister is really close to several of these sweet young ladies.

II have never heard a bad word said about Kyle Lake or his family. They are salt of the earth kind of people. I have seen his kids at Mothers Day Out from time to time. I have run into his wife at HEB. Sari was pretty close to them. Now my heart aches for my sister and this family. It seems so unfair, so terrible. How do you recover from something like that? From what I hear, his family, though in total shock still, has publicly said that they know God will get them through even this. I don't envy their journey. There are no short cuts.

Sari said there was lots of news crews outside the church tonight. One reporter was heard to excitedly say he knew this would be a national story... Somehow that didn't make anyone feel better.

Tonight I will fall asleep praying for couple who watched their son die today, a 30 year old widow still so stunned, a five year old girl who wants her Daddy, and two rough and tumble boys who just don't get what is going on. Please join me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's unbelieveable! I'm so sorry!

John Owens said...

I'm such a Crowder fan. This is so awful. I've heard so many wonderful things about that guy and that church. Thanks for sharing this. Haven't "talked" to you in a while SG. Hope you're doing well.

jettybetty said...

Unbelievable to me, too--
I will be praying!

Lauren said...

The Lake family will be in my prayers as they begin this long journey! What a terribly sad story!

Donna G said...

Praying...

Jacinda said...

This is such a tragedy. I'm so sorry it happened.

jettybetty said...

Thanks for the update--
the family will continue to be in my prayers.

Beaner said...

So tragic! Praying for that family!!!