Thursday, October 20, 2005

Random Ramblings of a busy mom

I love my son. Yesterday we went to his 4 year check-up. Anyone who has had a four year old in the last ten years knows what that means...Immunizations! Rhett bravely sat in my lap while Nurse Marla gave him FOUR SHOTS, two in each arm. He whimpered and hid is face on my shoulder. At one point with tears pooling in his sweet blue eyes he looked up and pathetically said "I don't like shots Mommy." It broke my heart! But wonder of wonders, he never really cried. Nurse Marla and I both almost did though! Those last two shots were thick and really hurt! For her part Nurse Marla gave Rhett four suckers and bragged and bragged on how well he did. To ease my Mommy guilt and his pain we had lunch at Burger King and went to Target for 4 Hot Wheels cars. (They are on sale for 49 cents this week!)

Rhett's bravery also bought him an ice cream cone on the way home and a heap of praise from his Daddy, Aunt, grandparents and sister. Truth be told I would have bought him every toy in Toys-r-us at one point this morning if it would have lessened his pain. The hardest thing I have had to do as a mother is sit helplessly by when my kids were hurting. I would have gladly taken those four shots for Rhett yesterday if that would have worked. The bad news is the doctors office was out of flu shots for Rhett's age so we get to go back next week and get another SHOT!

On an entirely different note... I saw a sign yesterday that said "Just 10 weeks until Christmas." I 'm not a "packin' heat" kinda gal, but I suddenly had an overwhelming urge to blow the sign to smitherines! I can't explain the bah-hum-bug it brought out in me, but it turns my stomach to think about Christmas right now. Maybe it's because it isn't even Halloween yet and instead of the peace and joy of the season I can only picture a mile long list of more things to do? Hopefully by Thanksgiving I'll have the Grinch-itude whipped. In the mean tme, I can not be held responsible for what might happen to anyone who comes around me singing "Deck the Halls" and wearing red and green.

Speaking of grumpy Moms, apparently one stay at home Mom has had enough and gone on strike. I would love to join her but I can't imagine what the house would look like if we left all the claeaning to a 4 and 7 year old. Rob does his share and works two jobs. I really have no one to strike against. In fact, today I am staying home and cleaning my house. For two weeks I have said I was going to do this but things keep coming up so I am never home. Why does it seem the house is at it's worst when we are in what I call pit-stop mode? You would think the house would stay clean because we aren't here to mess it up. But instead, our coming in to refuel and heading out again has left the place in shambles. Finally it is time for some heavy duty mantainance. Yep, today's the day.

.
And finally, I can't believe that the french horn guy from yesterday didn't get more comments. Seriously! If you missed it, take a minute to give it a gander. I started laughing out loud in the carpool line yesterday just thinking about it. Maybe I have a weird sense of humor. :)

Ta-ta blog world... I have a date with Mr. Clean!

9 comments:

Jenni said...

I can't get the clip to play, but I trust you that it was funny!!

Hey quick question -- could you go into your settings and reset your "publish site feed" setting to yes? For some reason, when you update your posts, Bloglines doesn't get the feed. I think that might fix it....for those of us who have to use a list manager to keep up with all our blogs!!

SG said...

Ok I did it Jenni. I don't know what the deal is with blog lines. Maybe it is because this is not a "publicly published" blog. For that same reason though I never get ads in my comments. Hopefully just saying yes to the site feed will do the trick. :) Back to the broom!

jettybetty said...

Thanks for changing your setting--perhaps bloglines will pick you up now!

I am NOT ready for Christmas either--I am still using my air conditioner--how can I get in the mood?

I hate shots, but they are so important--I do endure them--sounds like Rhett was so brave! Way to go!

I have a date with Mr. Clean, today, too! What fun!

jettybetty said...

You do show up on bloglines now--
really, I am back to my broom now, too!

Donna G said...

Thanks for fixing your settings....and I am totally with you on blowing up all those it's almost Christmas people....sheesh!@
I haven't even bought my mums yet!!

Anonymous said...

I'm getting my flu shot tomorrow. After years of allergy shots - twice a week the first year - I'm pretty tough. Rhett sounds like a really big, tough guy...

Jenni said...

Yay to the site feed!! Bloglines found you!

Mae said...

Bless his heart. I SOOOO feel your pain.

Y'all, what the heck are bloglines?

SG said...

Yes Mae I thought of our post about HAH shots the whole drive to the doctors office. Sorry but it hasn't gotten any easier to watch my kids get shots.

I think Bloglines are some type of service that notifies you when people on you blogline list have published. Am I right?