Tuesday, October 04, 2005

GO BLUE JAYS!


Tonight was Rhett's first soccer game. In his team sport debut, our little rookie scored a goal! The Bluejays went on to sweep the Kangaroos 7-3, though we really don't keep score. It is so fun to watch the little mob follow the ball around the field. Occasionally the ball gets away and finds the goal! The kids are all 4 years old so their shin guards could double as knee pads and their soccer shorts look more like knickers! It is quite a sight! We all loved every minute of it! Rhett looked so cute out there...And his coach (pictured) is not only wonderful with the kids, he is HOT! :) Way to go Coach Rob!!

It was a great victory for my favorite guys and so fun for Kolby and I to cheer them on. I look forward to many more Bluejay games! (11 to be exact) These are the days!

A bit of house cleaning.....

1. Three new blog buddies were added to the list of those I frequent last week. CHECK THEM OUT! A belated welcome to you Chris, Meredith and Lauren!

2. I am so green with envy reading about all of you planing to attend the ZOE conference this weekend! I may swear off of blogging until the conference is over! But I know you will have incredible things to share and God will be glorified. I want to hear all about it next week. I truly hope I am able to make it next year.

3. I have an addiction to confess. I am hooked on the Broccoli salad from the Wal-Mart Deli. It's a little embarrassing... and as my sister said "and from Wal-Mart of all places!" Yesterday I even tried to call and get the recipe, but the deli lady said it came in a prepackaged kit and she didn't know what was in it. AND no, they do not sell the kits. So if any of you have a recipe for a broccoli salad that has red cabbage, red onion, golden raisins, carrots, sunflower kernels and something else crunchy with a tangy slaw like dressing....Please save me hours experimenting in my kitchen and pass it on.

4. Matt Elliot had an excellent post yesterday concerning the Ashley Smith/Brian Nichols story that broke last week. Really, go read it here! Aren't we all glad God uses broken vessels as none of us are without our cracks and imperfections!

And finally, I just wanted to thank all of you who have asked about and prayed for us since I blogged about Kolby's reading disorder last spring and summer. I feel very happy, grateful, humbled and blessed to report that since May, Kolby's reading has improved by an entire grade level! I truly praise God for the wonderful people at Baylor who worked with her for 5 long weeks this summer at CAMP SUCCESS and for those who continue to work with Kolby every week!
My little girl has regained some of her confidence, wants to read, and is doing very well. We still have lots to work on... Apparently spelling is a hereditary issue. :) But all in all, I feel like God has answered our prayers in so many ways on so many different levels! He continues to bless us with incredible teachers, professors and administrators. There are many things wrong with our education system today, but there are also many, many things that are right! There are some incredibly gifted generous people out there giving their all to help children. Teachers are my favorite people!
If you are a teacher NEVER, EVER doubt the incredible impact you have on the lives of your students and their families. THANK YOU for all you do and the spirit of love in which you do it!

Blessing to you blog world!

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

Yay for Rhett! I enjoyed Matthew's debut soccer season last year. The kids are hilarious!

Poor Matthew's team lost I am guessing 20-0! I think the other team was the minors for Midway High School Varsity! Matthew almost scored twice. Poor little guy!

Mae said...

My one student refuses to call me Mrs. Hale, yet he tries to say "mother trucker" at least 3 times a day... interesting things going on in thier heads. I asked him what he should call me, apparently I look like a Miz Suhmith. Who knew?

SG said...

Kendra I had 5 and a half inches cut off my hair last week and had it layered all over... a few people have noticed, but most haven't noticed or said a thing. Yesterday I ate lunch with Kolby and no less than 7 second graders asked me about my haircut! I bet your hair looks great! :)