Monday, May 19, 2008

Broken China

Have you watched the news out of China?

I can't even find words to describe it. Stories like this one just make me heart sick. The stories that get to me the most are always the ones about kids who have been killed, children who are hurting, children who have been orphaned, or parents who have lost their precious children. (Given the governments hand determining how many children couples in China can have, {usually just one} loosing a child is even more devastating!) It tortures me to see children hurting. I can't imagine how horrible this must be for those in China who have lost so, so much!

I know there is always something very tragic happening in the world, but the earth quake in China and the twister in Myanmar seem to have taken such a huge toll on humanity. Honestly, I have not watched the coverage much. Every time I read a story or see video or pictures from these places, I come away with so many questions and so much sorrow. I feel like I can't do enough to help. I can pray for God to comfort them and help them recover as only he can, and I do. I can remember their loss and be grateful for the blessings in my life, and I do. But I feel so helpless and almost guilty for just carrying on with my happy life while there are so many suffering. Do you ever feel that way? I wonder what God wants my response to these type situations to be? What does he want me to do when things like this happen?

I also struggle with when, how and how much of these stories to share with my kids. I have handled it different ways in the past. This time we have been so busy that I just haven't brought it up, but I think I should, maybe. Should I purposefully expose my kids to things like this when I'm not even sure how to respond? Like me, my kids can also be sad for these strangers around the world. They can pray for those hurt by these natural disasters and remember this terrible loss with a renewed gratitude for their blessings. But is that enough? Can we do enough to make a difference?

I want my kids to have a heart for others. I want them to know how to react to tragedy. I want them to realize not everyone on this Earth lives like we do and that many were just born into a much harder, more painful life. I want them to know that from those to which much is given, much should be given back. But I also want them to be happy people who don't let the tragedies of this world rob them of their joy. I usually think Rob and I are good examples, but when things like this happen I'm not sure we do all God has purposed us to do.

If you don't mind sharing a sentence or two, I'm curious how you handle these type tragedies personally and with your kids? (I'm really just talking about Kolby and Rhett here. EK is way too young.) What have you said about what happened in Myanmar and then in China this month? Do you talk about it? Do you watch it on TV or let your kids watch it? Does your family have an unofficial but still sort of set way/pattern of how to deal with or talk about world tragedies?

Thanks for reading today. May God bless you in whatever life deals you this beautiful Spring day! :)



(Some pictures from our back yard this morning. It's a beautiful day!)

3 comments:

Jacinda said...

Yeah, I don't know how much to share with G & K either. Honestly, we haven't talked about these 2 incidents at all. I do want them to realize that not everyone lives the way we do. I'll be interested to read the responses of others.

Meredith said...

Our kids are 11 nad 9, so we do talk some about what goes on. We have always been very open about world happenings, but we only give them small doses of it so it will not overwhelm them. I want them to know that the world is very different in other parts of the world so they will see how incredibly blessed we are. When there is something bad that happens we will contrast it with a positive. With the tragedies that we discuss and hear about on tv with our kids, it is a great opportunity to have them open up about prayer and how that ministers to those who are hurting. Cassidy thinks it is so cool that she can prayer for someone she does not even know.

Good posts!

Susan - said...

Honestly, we have not watched much news lately. Jackson is so very sensitive about things like this, I try to shield him to some degree. The Va. Tech tragedy last year really got to him.

If they ask, I try to be as honest as I think is appropriate for them, but there are no good answers here, are there?