Monday, May 19, 2008

Location, Location, Location

I don't want to take away from my post this morning so please read it and give me your input...
But I wanted to share the surprise EK and I found on our back porch this morning...

I kept noticing that a bird would fly out from under our porch every time EK or I came in or out our back door. Then I realized the bird was flying out of the fake ficus tree I moved to the porch when the floors were being done. This ficus is really old and I decided not to bring it back in. I was planning to put it in a garage sale later this summer.


Last week during a sudden rain I shoved the tree to the back of the porch to make room for other things that were out in the yard that didn't need to get wet. Today I started to put all that stuff away and move the tree when I glanced up and saw this...








I guess I won't clean off the porch today after all?! That fake ficus must not look as fake and faded as I thought... it fooled the bird!

I went in and took these pictures out the window the tree is closest to. Does anyone know what type of bird this is? She has really pretty blue ring around her eye and her eggs have a pinkish tint. A dove maybe?




So I guess we are keeping the ficus on the porch a while longer! I'm just hoping this mama won't get too spooked by us... or that the wind won't blow her tree over... or a soccer ball or Nerf dart won't stray too close... Anyone know how long it takes for baby birds to hatch, grow and leave the nest? I hope we don't disturb them too much. I have a soft spot for Mama's and babies so I am so excited about our new little family!

P.S. Three posts and a new blog skin in just 24 hours...
WOW! Go me!*
Happy Monday!

*As in "Stop blogging and GO clean up the house!!!"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

michael jackson? really?

Anonymous said...

It's a Mourning Dove. I only know this because we also had one build a nest on our patio, on top of the shelf above our washing machine, so I looked it up on the internet to find out how long they would be around. The kids (and even the parents; once we got used to the idea) enjoyed watching the birds hatch and eventually fly away. It takes approx. 14 days from the time the eggs are laid for them to hatch and another 14 days or so for the babies to leave the nest. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Those are "Mourning Doves' and that is probably the male. The females sit on the eggs at night while the males take the day shift. If you don't want to get rid of that tree until the eggs have hatched and the birds have flown the coop, you are looking at late June to early July. Depending on how long the eggs have been there. They scare easy but will not abandon their eggs or babies. See if you can stablize the tree when they are away...which will not be often. Their nest are that stable. BEWARE OF GRACKLES AND CATS!

Anonymous said...

How sweet! I hope she stays safe and snug while those babies grow. How fun to watch.

I love the graphic in your new header. I think I found that a couple of weeks ago when I accidently found myself in the land of digi-scrapbooking sites. I downloaded this set as well. Don't know whatever I'll do with it, but I loved it! So cool.

Have a good one.

Beaner said...

Yep - it's definately a Mourning Dove! My parents have several pairs that will make nests in their flower baskets that hang from their porch! They even return year after year to the exact same ones!!! The doves are even used to my parents going in & out of the porch door & they don't even fly away.

And here I thought that I had a LOT of nature around here - between the squirrel & the baby doves, you guys could run a zoo & charge a fee to come over to your house!!!

HW said...

We had a pair of mourning doves make their nest on our front porch right in the middle of our floral wicker chair cushion. They (mom or dad - depending on the shift) sat still as statues as we came in and out of our front door. We watched them raise their babies through our dining room window and it was really a beautiful thing. I keep wishing they'd come back.
I'm excited for you.

SG said...

So anon..
Like this one better? Who knew there was a "Mourning Dove" song? Doesn't get me going like Rockin' Robin but does fit our bird better! :)

Susan - said...

How neat. When Jackson was born there was a momma bird in a plant on our back porch. I have pictures of it in his scrapbook. It was cool to see her babies grow and leave the nest as my little one grew too.

You won't scare them off, but do watch out for cats! Evil beings.

Amy S. Grant said...

How sweet! That is a beautiful bird.

You & Elizabeth are both raising baby birds these days - those mommas must know good locations when they see them!