Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Open Wide

In keeping with the dental theme that is floating around today... I took Kolby to the dentist this morning for her 6 month check and cleaning. The Hygentist didn't believe Kolby when she said the tooth fairy had come to see us 9 times...but she has. Yes, my daughter has lost nine teeth.

All was well. No new cavities. Then the dentist, Dr. Cox, came in to take a look. The next words out of his mouth were not surprising, but they struck fear in my heart. "This time next year we will probably need to refer you to an orthodontist..."

An ORTHODONTIST.... Already? She's 6 and will be only 7 in two weeks! But it seems Kolby inherited traits from both Rob and I that will set us back thousands of dollars over the next few years, and force her to be a metal mouth. Kolby has big teeth and very small jaws, like me. ( How in the world could I have such an unusually small jaw yet be so gifted in the art of GAB? One of life's little ironies I guess! ;O )

From Rob, Kolby inherited the trait of developing a few extra teeth. ( Rob had over a dozen teeth removed or cut out by age 16) There is no room for all those teeth! That is why Kolby has lost nine baby teeth to make room for only five big permanent teeth. So as soon as the 6 year molars (that they say don't usually come in until age 7~go figure) are in we are off to the wonderful world of orthodontics.

And truly it is great that we live in a time when teeth can be "fixed." It's just that paying for all of this and seeing my baby girl in braces is a bit hard to swallow. I guess I have to face the fact that Kolby is growing up, dang it! As for paying for all of this, well I guess it's like the dentist said this morning,, get out your wallet and "Open wide!"

PS I am having an awful time with blogger. Is anyone else having trouble?

5 comments:

Aly Cat 121 said...

Oh doesn't it just make you lose your breath when doctors tell you something about your child that doesn't amount to "everything is GREAT and we'll see you next year"

Anonymous said...

Uhhh, spooky seeing Friday's date on today's blog!!!

Val said...

Does Rob have any Native American ancestry? Extra teeth is said to be common in that case. We had some of that in our family, too.

Yes, Blogger has been troublesome of late.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

yes---about blogger. Blogger, get your game on! Even with high speed internet you're reminding me of the days of dial up at slow speeds!!! For the love!

SG said...

Just re-read my own blog and wow ~ i can't believe I actually blogged abou the boring trip to the dentist!! Nothing big here just blog on poeple, blog on! :)