Saturday, January 29, 2005

Red Velvet Cake ~ The Recipe

Those of you who read this blog know that this is not my favorite cake. This recipe however is the best Red Velvet Cake I have ever eaten. I am posting the recipe because a while back I got an e-mail request from a reader(still amazes me that people actually do read this) for a Red Velvet Cake Recipe. She wanted to make one for her mothers Valentine Birthday. I was going to reply, but somehow the e-mail was erased and I do not lnow who she was. So, I am posting the recipe for her and for all. Although my kids perfer strawberry cake with buttercream icing for V-Day... most grown-ups dig Red Velvet!

I think the recipe is from my cousin Ashley's grandmother on her Dad's side, Totsy Hagelstein. We just called her "Great".

Great's Red Velvet Cake:
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 oz. red food coloring
2 1/2 cups flour
1 scant tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1tsp. soda
1 cup buttermilk
1TBSP vinegar
1 tsp butter flavoring
Cream shortening, sugar and eggs. Make a paste of food coloring and cocoa and add to mixture. Add salt and flour with butter, milk, and vanilla. Alternately add soda and vinegar and don't beat hard, just blend. Pour into two greased and floured round cake pans. Bale at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool completely. Split layers -(dental floss is great for this) to make 4 layers if desired. Frost with Cream Cheese icing, Butter Cream frosting or Divinity icing. (We always use cream cheese for this cake, but if I ever make it, I'll try Divinity.)


Cream Cheese Icing:
8oz cream cheese
1 box powdered sugar
1 stick margarine
1 tsp. Vanilla

Blend ingredients. Whip until creamy. Spread on cake.


Happy Baking! It truly is a pretty cake!


This can also be made as a sheet cake,BUT you will have lots of extra icing if you don't turn it out and split the layer before frosting. Christmas variation ~ make it in a bunt pan and glaze with a powdered sugar, milk and crushed peppermint mixture.



2 comments:

judy thomas said...

Stephanie keep reading--I too loved Winn-Dixie. I think a movie is being made of it.As you know, I believe there is absolutely no way to count the value of sitting with your child, cuddling and reading a good book. I will be glad when Maddie can sit still for longer books.

Susan - said...

I just wanted to say what a colorful name "Totsy Hagelstein is". Love that!