Friday, January 21, 2005

Random Fun Friday

Kolby and I just returned from Fort Worth. We took off around 10:30 this morning (after Kolby's spelling test) and headed north to "our old home town", as Kolby calls it. After a pit stop in West for treats from the Czech Stop, we headed for Cowtown's hospital district. From May 1997 to February 1998 (roughly my entire pregnancy with Kolby) I worked for Family Service Hospice. I became very familiar with all the hospitals, and the whole hospital area. Going back there brought back memories of puking into baggies at stop lights, the restaurants around that soothed my crazy pregnancy cravings and more than anything the Chapel at Cooks Childrens Hospital.

Today we went to visit the Copes...well drop off goodies, hug and run before we got in the way. It was so good to see Mike and Diane. They never seem to age!! Both were in good spirits, but that tired Hospital haze was obvious in both their faces. The good news is that Chris is out of ICU and doing as well as a 12 year old can his first day off the major pain meds can do. He was in pain, but from all reports he is right on schedule to make a full, though slow, recovery. That is so good to hear isn't !? Chris will probably be at Cooks another week, but they are not sure about all that yet. I also talked to Sheryl Lemmons. She was very upbeat and expects Austin to go home in the next few days. I didn't talk to Bennets but I think he and Austin are sharing the road to recovery. Good news from the three amigos at Cooks!

After the hospital stop we headed to North Tarrant County for some shopping and sight seeing around our old haunts. Our old house looked sad... made me happy that we don't live there anymore! We spent sometime at Super Target...I forget how huge those super Targets are!!! And then got to go by the Lees house for a visit with Kristi (Yates), Josie and Lauren! Kolby loved getting to play with her "first friend" Lauren and Josie, who Kolby called "Sissy" for the first two years of her life. I loved getting to visit with Kristi.

Kristi taught me how to be a Mom to a baby. Lauren was born 6 weeks before Kolby. Kristi, though three years younger than I, had Josie, who was two ( and adorable) so she was my Mommy Mentor. I love Kristi like a sister. Though we don't visit nearly as often as we should, we pick up right where we left off every time. Funny how most of my best, best friends became my friends during that first Mommy year... and all have kids Kolby's age. Rooky Moms need lots of good friends and BUNKO! Susan, Heidi, Diana, Emily, Karen, & Kristi, I miss you girls!!! Actually, I miss girlfriends in general lately! I think it is time to resurrect Bunko night....Waco girls what do you think??? (OK, the two of you who read this anyway) But I stray.......

Kolby and I made one more swing by the hospital on our way out of town and ended our "Girls trip" with Kolaches and honey bears from the Czech Stop...Yes, twice in one day.. Kolby's choice. It was a great day! Now we're popping corn and about to watch Ella Enchanted. Saturday will be a big day of Cheerleading, birthday parties, and working on that room of mine...No it is nowhere near finished! :)

Hope your weekend is wonderful and full of times with friends!!!

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Your on girlfriend! Name the place and time for bunko and I'm there!

Susan - said...

OK, that made me want to cry. I miss our Bunko nights too! We may start one here in our neighborhood, but it will never be the same. Come see me!