Thursday, February 16, 2006

Not so tickled to be pink


As if the flu weren't enough, today Rhett woke up with what looks to be PINK EYE. This picture was taken after eye drops and thirty minutes of compresses to remove the "gunk". I don't think we will be leaving the house this week. When ever my kids are sick, or I am sick, for more than a few days I tend to start feeling really sorry for us. This morning at the height of my pity party for Rhett (and me), I caught a glimpse of an old picture of me with my sweet "gate kids" in Nairobi, Kenya.

I started thinking about these little kids I played with and worked with in Kenya over a decade ago. Most of them didn't get to go to the doctor when they got sick. They didn't have motrin,tylenol dissolving tabs or codeine cough syrup. They didn't have soft cushy beds and a limitless supply of soup, milkshakes, and icey cold Sprite at their beckon call. They didn't have Dads who could take off work to go get more medicine from the pharmacy. They live in poverty. Poverty is not the opposite of wealth, it is the opposite of adequate. That's why the mortality rate for those little sweet kids is so high.

So yes, Rhett and I have been miserable this week and it doesn't look like it is going to get much better for a few days, but what a blessing to know we will get better! Can you imagine being a parent in a world where every time your child gets sick it might mean death? It makes me shudder. And somehow I do not feel so sorry for myself anymore.

Thank you God for the blessings of my life. Please give a extra measure of health and comfort to the kids of the world who don't enjoy the luxury of medicine, ice cream, and adequate care!

6 comments:

Donna G said...

Bless his heart....but you are right! We are so blessed that we can even take our children to the Dr., that we have good prenatal care and even Tylenol.

I hope health returns to your household soon!

Beaner said...

Thanks - I needed the reminder today! I'm home w/my 4-yr. old, who has a stomache bug going through her. This after finally getting my 6-yr. old back to school. We ran out to the store for Gatorade, Sprite & Oyster crackers & I was feeling sorry for myself too....but we are really spoiled! I have the LUXURY to run out to Kroger & get whatever i want to!

Here's hoping all our little ones get better soon - and all HIS little ones too!

Jacinda said...

You're so right! I do hope all of you get better soon though!

Lauren said...

Thank you for this post today! I hope Rhett is feeling better soon.

jettybetty said...

Poor little guy--
God has helped you--and you have helped me see how blessed we are. I truly can't imagine the situation you described from Africa.
I do hope everyone at your house is much better SOON!

Amy S. Grant said...

I hope Rhett feels better soon. That picture makes me sad for him! And you're right - we take so much for granted. Thanks for your heart and perspective.