Friday, February 03, 2006

Rita?

I tend to talk to strangers and can strike up a conversation with just about anyone. Not long ago I was talking to a mom at Burger King whose husband owns a business that uniquely serves the community and allows him a very handsome living. However it is one of those jobs most of us wouldn't do for all the gold in Fort Knox. He owns a highly specialized cleaning company that cleans up after murders, suicides, and other freaky accidents. Only the coroner and police have his number. He doesn't advertise. Last night I was wishing that I had bothered to catch that woman's name and get her number....

Kolby has a stomach virus. We didn't know that when she went to bed last night. Kolby is also known for sleep walking around her room. Last night she evidentially starting puking and walking at the same time. By the time I found her at 11:30 pm there was not a clean surface left in her room or bathroom and she was still not fully awake. I would have gladly mortgaged the house again to pay someone else to clean it up! But since I was afraid the smell would kill us all by morning and since I don't have that guy's number, I donned my rubber gloves and lysole, stuffed Kleenex up my nose (so I wouldn't contribute more to the mess) and just did it. At least started it anyway. YUCK! What was I saying about loving motherhood last week?

Kolby apologized a million times, poor little thing. I've never seen a human throw-up as much as she did from 11:30 to 1:45 am. The phenergan finally kicked in around then and we both got to sleep for a few hours. Rob, who slept through the whole thing, actually tried to wake me up to go wake Kolby up for school today. Turns out he never heard a thing and didn't notice the pile of stuff in the garage left to launder today. Maybe fatherhood has more perks than I realized.

Things are looking better today, well everything but the house. Kolby feels better and is religiously following Dr.Kemper's Sprite and peach syrup stomach settling routine. Rhett has decided he wants to go hang out with his Aunt Sari across the street. I am about to go finish the rescue and recover phase of the clean-up and begin demolition. (I'm afraid a few stuffed animals are not going to make it!)We're calling this stomach virus "Rita" after a similar, albeit much more devistating storm, and praying the clean up doesn't take too long. HAPPY FRIDAY!

6 comments:

Susan - said...

OH! I am sorry both of you had to go through that. The stomach bug is going around here too. So far none of us has had it, but I am not so foolish to believe we might be spared.
I hope you Rob and Rhett stay healthy!

Beaner said...

Oh you poor thing! (Actually, BOTH of you!) I thought that there was nothing worse than puking....now I know it CAN get worse - cleaning it up! Don't you think it's time to call a maid service??? Blessings & prayers for the "bug" to go away!!!

Jacinda said...

Oh, so sorry! Hope noone else gets it.

Anonymous said...

You make me appreciate my mother so much! I once damaged a doll - I wouldn't let her go so my daddy cut all her hair off. I still loved her with a spiky do!

I hope Kolby feels better soon!

Amy S. Grant said...

So sorry! I hope she is all better now and that no one else catches it.

Bowling sounds like a great idea! Come to think of it I think the year we scaled down the parties was when I was pregnant with our third child.

Anonymous said...

Missed Kolby at B-ball this morning. Hope she is better soon and no one else gets it.

Carrie