Saturday, August 07, 2004

The Long Road Home


The Road Home Posted by Hello
Thursday the kids and I drove Susan and the boys to Dallas to catch a flight home. After lunch in West End at Joes Crab Shack (coco shrimp-yum) we jumped on (E)I-35 and zoomed on over to Love Field. After a quick and therefore not tearful (but I was really sad) goodbye, Susan and the boys faded into the airport masses and we were off.

It was 1:05pm. Kolby wanted a Disney lunch box and I wanted to go back the Fort Worth way (more familiar, less construction). At 1:40pm we were about to exit to The Parks Mall in Arlington when Kolby started screaming. I looked back just in time to see Rhett puke his popcorn shrimp! YYYUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK!(Like his Mom, he gets carsick easily) I calmly navigated through the nearest parking garage. It took a whole box of wipes to clean Rhett up enough to walk in and get some more clothes. We won't even talk about the smell and the 100 degree heat! I was without a stroller and Rhett was to pukey to carry. We took it really slow.

Amazingly as soon as I got his clothes changed, Rhett was good to go. We had a great mall trip afterwards. Much to my dismay, Kolby ditched all the Princesses and Kim Possible for a Lizzie Maguire lunch box. Not that there is anything wrong with Lizzie ...It's just more grown up than I want my 6 year old to be. But, I had said she could pick whatever she wanted...I'll be more careful saying that next time! Rhett picked out a cool Stitch twirly light toy! We escaped Disney for under$25. Finally, toys and school shoes in tow, we headed to the food court & Carousel for a snack and a spin or two before heading home. After two rides, splitting a Reeses Sonic Blast and getting 3 waters to go again, we were off!

At 4:10 we had made it to (W)I-35 and were headed back. By the time the kids finished the "Cat from Outer Space" video, Rhett was out and Kolby had to go to the restroom. Going to bed really late and waking early had caught up with me. The Hillsboro Starbucks sign lured me off the Highway. VENTE MOCHA FRAPPUCCINO LITE- NO WHIP. Ahhh! I then pulled into The Prime Outlets and was drawn to the Bible store. We purchased a "3-2-1 Penguins" video and a MW Smith "Worship" for $5 each. (My last "Worship" CD disappeared last October at the ladies retreat. I have been longing to hear "Breathe" ever since.) We swung by Subway to get the kids a little sandwich to split and some Sprites. 5:30PM. Kids reloaded, VCR playing, and "Worship" spinning, again- we were off! Home was just 45 minutes away!

WRONG! It seems there was an awful wreck and resulting fuel spill on I-35, 15 miles south of Hillsboro. The interstate was closed. We were just two miles out of Hillsboro when we hit stand still traffic. NO movement. Parking lot. OH MY! But I was jamming with Michael W and the kids were loving their new video. Turns out I bought "Worship Again" therefore...no "BREATHE". But it is impossible to get really upset about traffic with Michael W Smith singing his heart out with you. Somehow we made it with out any whining! We pulled into our garage around 7:30pm. I must confess I have not left the house since!

Lessons learned...
1. When you travel with kids always take the stroller, a change of clothes, and a full box of wipes.

2. Listen to that little voice inside that says pull over...I might have been in that awful wreck! It happened within minutes of when we would have been driving by had we not stopped. Besides Kolby could not have held it that long and our wait on the road would not have been as pleasant without the snacks and new entertainment.

3. Coming home is a gift. What a priviledge it is to be able to come and go and then to have a home to come home to! Thank you Father God for bringing us home safely! Thankyou for our little home! You know...The Gates of Heaven will look 1000 times better than my garage door looked, even that Thursday! Can you imagine how incredible it will feel when we are finally home? That is just the most amazing thought!

Thursday night our lights were out way before 10 pm...very unusual for the Grosz household! You know what song came to mind as I sang my kids to sleep?

Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
Calling for you and for me;
See, on the portals He's waiting and watching,
Watching for you and for me.
Come home (Come home), come home (come home),
Ye who are weary, come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Calling, O sinner, come home!
Oh! for the wonderful love He has promised,
promised for you and for me;
Tho' we have sinned, He has mercy and pardon,
pardon for you and for me.
Come home (Come home), come home (come home),
Ye who are weary, come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Calling, O sinner, come home!

It is my charge to enjoy the pit stops, the bumps in road, and even the traffic jams on this long road home we call life. I pray each of you enjoys your ride as well! Heaven or bust!

4 comments:

John Owens said...

SG, you're getting really good at this Blogging thing. Great thoughts. Although, I'm concerned. Rhett pukes and then you load him with snacks and put him on a carousel. Hmm. Is that playing with fire? I think it is so nice of MWS to sing with you the way he does. I've always appreciated that about Matt Redman as well.

Mae said...

1. How in the world did yo get out of Disney w/ only spending $25???
2. You are a brave woman to give your child more food and a carosel ride after the Crab Shack Attack ~ love that place BTW, but will think differently about it the next time I'm there...
3. I'm proud of Kolby for having the courage to walk into a mall w/ her coco shrimp 2 bro and proud of Rhett for doing the same ~ GO Kiddos!
4. You have a tv in your car ~ Go SG!
5. "Come Home" is now in my head. Like the thoughts and idea of going, just not having the song incessantly going on the carosel of my brain!
6. Glad that you got home safely. :)

SG said...

In retrospect I guess i was pushing the envelope with Rhett's tummy! AND Thanks! Rob may think I'm becoming a blog geek! But it feels good to get all thoughts out!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Steph-
Boy, have we ever been where you are. Traveling with the kids on ZOE trips has brought many an interesting moment. I shudder to even think about it.

I love reading your thoughts, as always. Love the video watching in the car too. When we had Maddie I committed one of the most difficult exchanges of my self-centered adult life. I traded in my convertible Sebring for MINI VAN. I swore never to drive one. But, it was the lure of the oh so cool TV/VCR that won me over. Now, after many road trips, I am grateful! But don't tell Sheryl.