Friday, August 20, 2004

Slipping

It is 1:38 am. I am blogging to stay awake as I wait for my Gymboree on-line coupon to go into affect so I can place my order. I thought I could place the order at 12:01am but I didn't read the little PST after the 12:01 which makes it 2:01 Texas time. Yes, I know it sounds crazy and I guess it is. I'm all a panic because I just realized Rhett's birthday is in two week and I have done nothing. To some of you that may seem like no big deal but for me...Well, lets just say birthdays are a huge deal around here. Ask any good friend and they will tell you I should have been some corporate three ring circus producer. It's always over the top but I LOVE TO HAVE PARTIES! Themed ones especially. I only have two kids and they will only let me do this until they are 8 or 9. So in my entire life that is only 16 or 18 great parties to plan! Do you see why not having a plan two weeks out bothers me? #_#

I have never been two weeks out from B-day without a major plan. I have things to order, decorations to make, a cake to plan... Yes, I make it, so I have to have a plan because I don't want it to look like I made it. These are the things that haunt my sick little Mommy brain and keep me up ordering discount at 2:00am! Tonight I was almost at the point of tears when I realized I hadn't done anything for Rhett's birthday. I did not cry but I had to ask myself if I was slipping. Kolbys parties are planned for months in advance and have become an event in our little circles. Rhett has talked about having a Thomas the Train party all summer, why am I not geared up for this? What is wrong with me?

Could it be that I have birthday burn-out? Have I lost my flair? Or has procrastination finally managed to soak through every fiber of my being polluting even my party planning genes? Or have I learned the kids have just as much fun with a jumpy and a cake? Has God finally convinced me that I don't have to have the best party to be the best Mom I can be to my kids? Have I realigned my priorities so that the party slipped my mind? NAH! Probably just a little planning hiccup! ;-)

In 9 minutes I will order clothes to finish out 3 outfits,get a 60% discount, free shipping and my Gymbucks. Then I am off to bed. That way, when I wake in the morning I do not have to take a 15 month old and an almost 3 year old to the mall. I will finish up my invitation orders for other people's kid's birthdays (In the past two days 3 orders have come in. I haven't started and all need to be out by Sunday at the latest.) Then finally, I will make calls and get to Rhett's party. It will be fine, I'm sure. I feel very rushed these days and out of sorts. Have I taken on too much? Do I expect too much? I'm not sure. But I am sure I want to give my son a great 3rd birthday party! We announced that I was 11 weeks preggers at Kolby's third birthday, although most people had guessed. I guess I just want Rhett's parties to be as special as Kolby's have been.

FOR ANYONE READING THIS WHO DOESN'T HAVE CHILDREN>>> Start the parties out small and build. When you set the bar low, it's easier to raise!

I am off to order some Zebra pants...only a few years left in Gymboree! Where does the time go? Tomorrow I will be all about invitations and birthdays. I know Rhett will love his "Thomas" party. Wish you all could come! Better run, just two more minutes! :)

7 comments:

Donna G said...

Really, two weeks is an eternity!!! I really must give you lessons on flying by the seat of your pants. Just a little secret. I forgot to order my sons birthday cake one year so I made a chocolate sheet cake with chocolate icing and put hot-wheels on top as decorations... He loved it. One of his favorites.

Anonymous said...

Girl you better go to bed early tonight. Even though I appreciate you attention to detail (especailly since we get Kolby's hand me downs from time to time) you really do try to take on too much. RELAX REST ...can you do my invitations by tomorrow? :) AH

Anonymous said...

Girl you better go to bed early tonight. Even though I appreciate you attention to detail (especailly since we get Kolby's hand me downs from time to time) you really do try to take on too much. RELAX REST ...can you do my invitations by tomorrow? :) AH

Anonymous said...

Girl you better go to bed early tonight. Even though I appreciate you attention to detail (especailly since we get Kolby's hand me downs from time to time) you really do try to take on too much. RELAX REST ...can you do my invitations by tomorrow? :) AH

Mae said...

Deep healing breaths in ~ envision peace, tranquility, train rides through the zoo, those wonderul smells ~ nix that part!, a breeze blowing your hair and it not getting stuck in freshly applied lip gloss for a pouty shine. Now, blow the frustration, the "underachiever" thoughts and the second guessing yourself out. Watch as it dissapears into thin air and then smile! The party will be FAN-TAB-U-LOUS ~ I still by my 12 year old niece things from the Children's Place ~ it's a nice change from the way too mature, borderline sexy stuff at Limted 2, at least you have that to graduate to when Gymboree is passed!
All will be great, I think it was just a speed bump from having to stay up for two extra hours and listening to the house creek, the clocks tick and the family snooze while you anxiously watch the numbers lessen in order to feel the satisfaction of not having to take two youngun's to the mall. Go Steph! :)
Now, don't you feel better??!?!?!!?!

Susan - said...

Yes, you are nuts, you do take on too much, you do over obsess the details and that is why you are you and we all love you.

SJ

Clarissa said...

I am soooo laughing. Chloe's 1st birthday is tomorrow and I've done absolutely nothing. NOTHING. I'll go to the store tonight for a cake mix, and do a SIMPLE, homemade cake. My mom's bringing balloons, and we have some Pooh birthday supplies my mom found cheap awhile back. Rob will buy a few presents for her -- like a fourth child needs ANYTHING at age one. Our home is filed with toys. Of course, being able to find all the pieces that go with each one is a major challenge.
1-year-olds get just a family party around here -- they freak out enough with just that. The grandparents go overboard and the kids get so much stuff they sometimes start to cry from the overwhelmingness (is that a word?) of it all.
Relax! Become a wedding planner in your next life. That would make your organization-loving side happy.