Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Ready or not...

<
SVE Theme

Well one week from today Kolby will be a first grader! Don't tell her, but I am having a hard time getting geared up for this! I would never let her hear or see me act anything but positve about school but, I am having a hard time getting mentally ready this year. I am excited about the new year and I know she will love it and do great, but I will miss her.

I will miss sleeping until 9am and being able to go to a movie whenever we want. I will miss laid back lunches and lazy days around the pool. I will miss seeing Rhett and Kolby play trains, babies, and splash in the pool. They have really bonded this summer. BUT I believe in school. I believe in public school. I believe it is good for us to get back on a schedule and in the swing of things. So ready or not, here it comes!

We had our first PTA meeting Saturday night. I am on the Teacher Appreciation team this year. That is something I really believe in so I am easily motivated to work on it. I came up with this little poster for this years PTA theme with the help of my friends at PcCrafter.com this morning. It was approved and all that by noon today, so this is it. We are all a bloom this year! (last year we were on a Reading Safari. Bugs and flowers will be a nice change from African and Zoo animals...Both are fun!)

My first assignment is the "Bug Out" for "Blast Off" luncheon for the teachers the day before school starts. ("Blast Off" is our version of "Meet the Teacher". We go up to school the evening before school starts to meet the teacher, see the classroom and put supplies in the new desk) We just started planning this luncheon Saturday night but, it has come together so quickly. We are done with the "planning, making, ordering" stage. All we have to do is pick everything up, decorate and set it all out. Not bad! I think I am going to like this team and gig!

Must run. I have a closet to get "school ready" and BIG RED ICE CREAM to make! We are going to squeeze all the summer we can into these last days! :-)

P.S. Please pray for my unemployed school teaching sister. There is a chance she could get a classroom at Kolby's school after all! We just need three more Kindergarteners to register!!! Come on little Kindergarteners REGISTER!

6 comments:

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

BIG RED ICE CREAM?????????????? You've been holding out on me. I want the scoop. Get it? Scoop? Get it?? OK--dumb joke.

SG said...

Here it is for Brandon and all...
BIR RED Ice Cream (4 Quarts Recipe)
2 14 oz Cans of Sweetened condensed milk
1 cup cherries or strawberries puréed and chilled
1 2liter Big Red

Chill all. Add Big Red first, then pour in the rest. Follow Ice Cream maker directions and go!
You can leave the fruit out altogether if you want and it is still great! We love this.

I tried your Orange Pineapple and Pina Colada recipes this summer and they are great too. We also make Peach ice cream this way using Sprite and one large can of pureed peaches w/juice in place of the Big Red and Fruit. It's not Blue Bell but still just as satisfying!

John Owens said...

SG, thanks for being such a teacher supporter. If your sister needs a job next year tell her to apply here at GAC. It's a great school. And if you ever want to make ice cream for any of our teachers, you can send it to me, and I'll pass it along. :)

Mae said...

Ummm, Jon... Is that invitation for Sari to come to GAC in only the school's and students' interests ~ or soemone else's as well?!?!??!!! (insert evil cackle here... and here... and here...)
SG ~ you have THE coolest recipes on the face of the earth. I just have to convince Brandon to go to Kroger's so we (and by that, I mean he!) can make them! :)

Susan - said...

Are you REALLY going to make that Big Red Ice Cream this time? Send me a picture, I don't believe it. By the way, very cute poster. You are so creative!

SG said...

Jon ~ Why don't you just break down and come visit and we will see about Sari in GA!
Mae ~ I think Jon's not to well disguised flirtation with the idea of meeting my sister is cute!
Susan ~ you know me way too well!