Monday, August 09, 2004

Make It Stop!


Election 2004 Posted by Hello
It has taken all the restraint I could muster to keep politics off of this blog. Today I just have to break down.

I want it over! I am about to boycott all the grown-up TV channels until after next November. Really! It is so depressing! I want to stop hearing the barbs, the supposed issues, the jibes, the second guessing, the bolstering, the spinning, the meaningless rhetoric etc. Election years are always pesky but this one seems moore so than most. What is really bugging the heck out of me is that one party seems to be saying "Vote against ----" without giving us any real reason to "Vote for -----" except that he is not ----.

To that I say "Sometimes the Devil you know is better than you one you don't." But that is another type blog altogether.

When did the electoral process turn into a mud slinging contest? I love my country. I am glad we trade barbs instead of bullets when it comes time to elect our leaders. But somehow in the mountain of media and rhetoric that surround these elections, I feel things like truth, honor and fairness are completely obliviated...by both sides. I hope that somehow in all this mess, Americans find a way to make an informed vote, but we can't look to the media or either party for help with that!

There. I said it. I will again try to restrain myself from this point on...I just had to get that out. Thanks for letting me vent. Feel free to vent here too if you want!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woah there little Bushie! He'll be home to see you next January! January is a comin'!

SG said...

Thanks ANON! Care to put a name with that depressing attempt to cheer me? :)

Mae said...

I have never been into anything having to do w/ politics. In fact, this will be the first time I've voted and I'm still riding the fence on whether to sway towards the elephant or the donkey.
I have almost gotten to the point that I can't even stand to watch the local news ~ it all disgusts me. I do enjoy the Today show w/ the local weather updats every few minutes and then a break to the latest Minolo's or Fendi handbags ~ now that's worth listening to! :)

John Owens said...

They're all so full of hot air. Even when they do follow through with what they say, the other side some how gets in the way to stop it in congress, courts, whatever. I'm sick of it all. Hate to sound so Postmodern, but who can you really trust these days?

SG said...

No that was not a typo or me misspelling as usual. The was a reference to Michael Moore. In this case I think much less of Moore.

Kester Smith... said...

OK, I'm a weirdo. Election years are like my Super Bowl. I love the debate. I love having to pick through and decide. I'd say "know both devils". One of them is always less of a devil than you think. My advice, don't listen to pundits. Watch speeches. Watch debates. Watch them without interruption on CSPAN and not on MSNBC, CNBC or FOX News. Read a newspaper and then turn the rest off and decide what you think.

Oh, and read Garrison Keillor's Homegrown Democrat. Great stuff.

Serena Voss said...

I used to be very wrapped up in politics and may be again someday. This summer, I planted a garden and two fruitless mulberries. I planted red lantanas, next to my white lilies, but my blue-bonnets didn't come up.

That's as polital as I got this summer.

Susan - said...

I liked your Moore reference. And I totally agree that this seems to be not Bush vs. Kerry, but Bush vs. not-Bush. And I am going to stop there or risk making someone mad.