Sunday, July 04, 2004

God bless the USA!

Here is a little history in honor of the day!

The Independence holiday was first observed in Philadelphia on July 8, 1776 when the Declaration of Independence had it's first public reading in Independence Square. Twice that day the Declaration was read to cheering crowds and pealing church bells. Even the "Province Bell" in Independence Hall was rung, which would later be renamed "Liberty Bell." People celebrated with fireworks, gunshots, and with candles which they lit and placed in their windows.

The official first Independence Day celebration took place the following year - July 4, 1777, one year to the day after the first Continental Congress ratified The Declaration of Independence. It was declared a legal holiday in 1941.


You don't hear of war protestors in 1776, we wre of course just 13 banded colonies not the United States. The UNITED States... Sometimes I wonder if our nation will ever truly be united again. Even after September 11th there were those Americans who sided with the terrorist. And then there is the question of our allegiance as Christians.

Mike Cope recently wrote on his blog ...when you become a Christian in a "sense, you become a "problem" to your country because you are no longer identified primarily as a citizen of that nation. You are an alien and stranger, whose citizenship is in heaven. You have come to see God's mission for the whole world--not just for the country you happen to live in."

My friend Brandon Thomas has mentioned Tony Compollo's asking "Who did Jesus typically side with, the rich--or the oppressed?" in reference to our nation and other nations in the world. I don't think Mike or Brandon are advocating being anti-American. I think that these are times when many question our nation...and rightly so.

Having lived briefly in another nation, I am a big fan of the United States. I love this country for the principles on which it was founded. Never was I more proud of my country than in the days that followed the last election.(You know that whole hanging chad thing.) There were no riots in the streets. There were no shootouts or outbreaks of mass violence. How many other nations would have handled the situation so calmly? I believe in America.

But I also believe that this world is not my home. Long before these United States existed, and dare I say long after the USA is gone, the Kingdom Of God will reign. My citizenship to that eternal Kingdom is far more precious. For me though, that does not mean that I can not appreciate my US citizenship. I think it would be wrong to ignore the sacrifice made by so many to afford me the freedom I have to worship my God openly and to voice my opinions.

So today my kids and I will light candles on a cake and sing "Happy Birthday Dear America." (Silly I know but Kolby likes it!) We will eat hot dogs, and swim, and go to sleep with the sound of exploding fireworks still ringing in our ears. As they grow I will tell them of the sacrifice and struggle American's have made for our greater good. We will celebrate America's first Independence.

Before any of that though, this morning we will go to church. We will lift our voices to praise our Father God. We will read from his words and seek his wisdom. We will pass the bread and the juice, and remember His Son and the ultimate sacrifice He made for us. As my children grow, we will teach them of a risen Savior, an omnipotent God, and an eternal Kingdom to which we belong. And as we do every week, we will reaffirm our utter DEPENDENCE on him, we will celebrate our eternal dependence!

Thank you God for my life! Thank you for this country. I pray you continue to bless the United States. Help us remember to those whom much is given, much is expected. Grant us the peace and wisdom to keep that charge! Our only real home is in you! Thank you!

Happy Birthday Dear America!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog because we both like Meet The Parents and The Five People You Meet in Heaven. After reading this blog, I see we have little else in common. You are a white Republican? Just a guess. I don't think much of your blog. Too sappy. No offense. Maybe you have to be a christian housewife to appreciate it? I bet you weren’t expecting that comment! Keep blogging though, it’s amusing to see how the other half lives. WORKING MOM in the REAL WORLD

Sara said...

I agree that it is important to be thankful that we are citizens of America but not before we realize that first and foremost we are citizens of heaven. Actually, your blog sounded familiar because my husband preached a similar sermon at a little country church in Cottonwood, TX. I thought it was very well done (but then I would because I am his biggest fan), but you might enjoy it (www.mikedarling.blogspot.com). I enjoy your posts and insights into life as a stay at home mom. Blessings to you as you raise your children to love Jesus.

SG said...

Well we just returned from the fireworks! My husband laughs at me because I am a firework Fanatic! I love them!

Sara- Thank you for your comments! I think we basically agree on this. Didn't Jesus say something like give to Ceasar what is Ceasars, give to God what is God's? (my scripture memory fades after 11pm!) We do in deed need to put our citizenship in Heaven over any other. I just think sometimes we as Christians get too anti- everything else. I plan on checking both your blog and your husbands soon. Graduate school before children...very good idea. Sometimes I wish I had thought of that!

Working Mom in the Real World- You are right about at least four things...I am white, I usually do vote Republican (and plan to this year), I can be a bit sappy (if you mean sappy as in too sugary), and No, I wasn't expecting your comment. But,please feel free to voice you opinion here anytime. These blogs are here as an outlet for our opinions.
I am tempted to get in to the "Stay-home Moms have the hardest of jobs" argument but, it's too late. When I worked full time, I would never have believed how hard it can be to stay home. I doubt I could convince you of that here. I am a little curious about "The 5 People You Meet in Heaven" being one of your favorite books. What did you like about it? Let me know.

Good Night blog world!

Anonymous said...

I loved your "sappy" blog for the Fourth of July. You are right, but I had never thought of our "citizenship" in those terms. Also, the cake idea is great, wish I had thought of it. Keep up the good work.
Susan