Friday, July 02, 2004

What's black and white and read all over?

Yes it really is 3:40am! Last January my husband and I took a paper route. The ends were not meeting well, and we both vowed that I would stay home as long as possible with the kids. So I thought, "A paper route...how hard can it be?" Turns out that for me, it can be really hard. Not only do you have to get up at 3:30am all 365 days of the year, it can be dangerous.

Rob has said 100 times, "Honey, you were not made for this type thing." I'm not sure what he means. Doesn't everyone get carsick and have to stop three or four times to puke when driving the route?
Is it my fault that the van window got in the way of my attempt to throw out the right side since I just can't hurl a Sunday paper with my left hand? (I save the hurling for other things!) And surely someone besides me has accidentally tipped a cart and dumped 150 rolled and wrapped papers into a giant pothole full of muddy water in the rain? Or taken out one of those garden gazing balls with a paper that got away? I know I am not the first to accidentally throw a paper on a roof...2 houses in a row! (Could that really be a world record like Rob says?) And if you park in the street, directly in front of your house number, someone throwing a paper might be straining to see if you're the one who gets the Wall Street Journal and accidentally run in your car...just warning you!

Well, Rob won't let me go by myself anymore. Sometimes I think he tries to sneak out without waking me...probably just wants to let me sleep! He is the greatest guy ever.
So he just left to get the papers. He'll bring them back and we will bag and roll. Maybe he will let me throw them...probably not. Until then I am blog surfing and thinking that we should all appreciate the newspaper people more. It's a dangerous job!

0 comments: