Monday, July 19, 2004

The Roller Coaster

I should warn you that I am in "rambling mode" today.  My thoughts are a little skiddish and I am trying to blog between phone breaks... but here goes....
 
I sometimes imagine that God's favorite teaching tools in life are children.  Maybe this says more about me than HIM.   My mothering has brought me to all new levels of understanding the love of my Heavenly Father. Maybe that says more about my kids than me! No. Really, one of the many blessing of having a child is better understanding God's love. 
  
I remember the first time Rob took Kolby on a mini roller coaster at the State Fair.  She wanted to go, but half way through the ride she wanted off.  Rob had her close her eyes and squeeze his hand really tight when she was scared. She made it and wanted to go again! Again, she was scared but because she had done it before, she opened her eyes and enjoyed the next ride even more. I guess we all have to learn how to appreciate our own roller coasters, so to speak.
 
When I was a teen, I remember telling my youth minister that I felt I was on an emotional roller coaster.  I could go from feeling very up to very down.  He assured me the emotional roller coaster was normal for a teen, especially a compassionate, dramatic girl like me. He said it would get better with time.  I came away thinking I would out grow the roller coaster. Someday the high and lows would straighten out and life would be more like a kiddy ride with mild dips and hills, no valleys and no peaks.
 
Almost twenty years later, I think the valleys of life have actually become deeper and the peaks higher.  The joys and sorrows of my teenage world pale in comparison to the joyous and sorrowful situations I see now.  BUT if life is a roller coaster, I have become a much better rider!  The ride has intensified but the emotions have steadied. The fear of the canyons and the elation at the peaks has tapered off a bit. A person riding a roller coaster for the first time surely gets a different rush of emotions than one who has been on the same ride 200 times. Experience and faith help me enjoy the ride.
 
Lately, my life has taken some roller coaster type twist, turns, peaks and valleys.  My heart has been breaking for my kin in Dallas slowly loosing their son.   I have been deeply concerned about Rob's father and mine after both had major surgeries this summer.  Rob has been under tremendous pressure at work and as a result our financial future seems shaky. But at the same time, my life at home with my kids is really good. Though stressful at times for all the usual "kid" reasons, we basically play in the pool, see movies, sleep late, and end our days with snowcones or ice cream.  Rhett still wants to "snuddle" every night.  Kolby isn't too cool to kiss her Mom goodbye in front of her friends. Can't beat that! I am so grateful for my kids and for these fun summer days. The peaks and valleys are still there, but my emotional highs and lows have evened off a bit. I'm so glad my youth minister was right because basically I am still a compassionate, dramatic girl! 
 
Sometimes I feel guilty for the happiness in my life in the midst of others sorrow and turmoil.  BUT I have come to believe that this is how life is supposed to be. We ride the roller coaster. We hold on to God for dear life, close our eyes in the scary parts, and scream his name when we think we won't make it. Then we stretch our arms up with gratitude and glee in the high times and feel the rush His love and perfect plan grants our life.  As the ride goes on, we learn the peaks and valleys are all temporary.  Each twist and turn gets us closer to the end when we can go home and be with our Father. So we start to enjoy the ride more despite the highest highs and lowest lows.
 
I found myself reading Ecclesiastes today. (Wow...was that teacher in need of a summer break, or what!?)  I was drawn to the "There is a time for everything..."  section in chapter 3, especially after all that happened with Nick last week. But I also found comfort in this...

Ecclesiastes 9:7  Be happy and enjoy eating and drinking! God decided long ago that this is what you should do. 8Dress up, comb your hair, and look your best. 9Life is short, and you love your wife, so enjoy being with her. This is what you are supposed to do as you struggle through life on this earth. 10Work hard at whatever you do. You will soon go to the world of the dead, where no one works or thinks or reasons or knows anything.
That is exactly what I intend to do.  Life is fleeting and precious. As for my current roller coaster situations, just like my little girl did on that sunny October day at the State Fair, I'll put my hand in my Father's and trust that He will get me through. When this ride is over, HE will take me home safely and all will be well.
 
Thank you Father God! Thank you so much!


1 comments:

Clarissa said...

Wow -- sounds like we have a lot in common. The rambling. The highs and lows. The drama.
I love the Ecclesiastes passage you shared -- thank you!